04

Then

"What's wrong Dora? Are you okay?" Dina asked while we sat in the car heading to the Martins.

I looked down to those cute eyes of hers and my chaotic of a world turned slightly calmer and brighter. Honestly she was my solace.

"I am fine Dina, nothing's is wrong at all" I tried to smile but everything was wrong.

"Do we have to go there every time dad and mom are not home?" She questioned but I got worried as a soon as those words left her mouth thinking the worse already.

"Why what's wrong? Did something happen to you there, talk to me Dina?" I got mindful.

"No nothing happened to me" I heaved a sigh of relief at her response and slumped back on the car seat.

"Although I like it there o" she continued "I get to watch lots of cartoons with Tolani and mommy Martin cook delicious foods but you are always sad anytime we go there and I want you to be happy. So if going makes you sad, I don't want to go too"

I fought back tears and pulled her into a tight hug. What could I tell her? Her maturity and kindness never ceased to amaze me and she was just five.

Sometimes I felt she was my older sister, taking care of me instead of the other way around. I remembered times I would hurt myself and she would insist on cleaning my wounds. Was it the day I burnt my hand while making us lunch or was it the times she insisted she slept in my room just so we could spend time together.

She could be so stubborn sometimes but she was helpful most of the times.

"I am really fine Dina" I assured her again and this time I kissed her chubby cheeks as I helped her adjust the beaded band I used to tie her hair this morning "I'm just a little sad I have to share my adorable sister there. You and Tolani sit all day watching your cartoons, playing and I am left alone every time we're there" I said playfully, pouting my lips.

"ooohh sorry" she replied sadly "I thought you spent most of your time with your books, so...I didn't want to disturb you, so i spend most of my time with Tolani but don't worry, this time I'll play with you too, a lot" she explained while gesturing with her hands.

"I was just joking Dina" I laughed "I'm glad you are having fun and have a friend of yours to play with. And yes I love reading but I love you more and enjoy spending time with you so don't think I don't."

"Okay but pinky promise me you won't be sad anymore and that there is nothing wrong with you" she held out her pinky finger and I intertwined mine with hers.

"I pinky promise. Your nose feel fine now, doesn't it?

She nodded then she got busy opening the wrapper of the chocolate I gave her before we left the house this morning.

It was still raining when we made our way to the house.

I willed the rain to pour harder, maybe there could be a flood and we wouldn't be able to go but the chances of having a flood in the streets of Magodo was very slim. I was still going in with my thoughts when the rain suddenly turned into a drizzle.

So much for wishes

I blinked back tears.

Less than ten minutes later we arrived at the big house that had become my nightmare these past months. My heart started to pound heavily.

"We're here children" Kelvin announced as he came out of the car and helped with our bags. Oblivious to my devastation. I came down along with my sister and held her close to me. Walking to the front door felt so draining and I felt my heart thumping loudly in my chest.