01

Names, characters and incidents in this book are a product of my imagination, fictional so any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

All rights reserved

*******************************************

Then

"Dora!", "Dora!" I woke up to the sound of my mother's voice. I pried my eyes open but felt slightly disoriented. I tried to pick up my surroundings and realized I had fallen asleep while going through one of my books in my room.

I tried to rub off the sleep from my eyes as I felt a dull ache forming on my temple despising the fact that my sleep was interrupted. I had trouble sleeping these days and I was only lucky enough if I got few hours of sleep without...

"Dora!" I heard her call again. Grumbling, I stumbled out of bed and head for the door. The least I needed to add to how terrible I was starting to feel now was her getting irritated, which she did at the slightest of things.

I actually did not care anymore but I would rather much avoid it.

As I made my way down the stairs, through the hall that led to the kitchen, I saw holding a cup of tea for herself and getting ready for work, her usual routine.

"Morning ma, you called?" I asked, feeling uninterested as i got closer to her. I just wanted to sleep.

"Obviously I did and because you're on holiday doesn't mean you have to sleep the whole day young lady" She scowled at me.

It's just few minutes before it clocks 8:00 on a HOLIDAY!... I wanted to scream at her, have heard that a lot and it was getting so annoying. 

She had always been more concerned with that aspect of my life. My sleeping schedule, the clothes I wore, how my hair looked... Her favourite mantra being "a lady needs to be up and ready at all times"

She brought her attention back to her tea sipping it with such elegance and delicacy, made me wonder why it took so much effort to drink just tea.

If only she puts half of such effort to looking out for us....

"Anyways..." she pressed on as she stood from the chair having finished her tea. I watched as she straightened up her spotless blouse and tucked it in her pants which was accompanied with her black stilettos. She always dressed sophisticated.

"I'm headed for work now and by this afternoon I'll be...."

Listening to her only made the headache I currently have worse so i just tuned her out.

Not even as much as asking how my night was or how Dina is doing after she caught a cold before we went to bed last night.

But who was I kidding? I should be used to this by now. I forgot who my mother was for a second. A woman who cared so much about physical appearances and luxuries than how her daughters were doing in school.

Then something I heard her say instantly brought my attention back to her.

"Wait...What? You're travelling?"

Hoping I had heard wrong. This was the longest she had been at home and had been grateful I had finally found my escape. The illusion of not having to go through the excruciating pain again becoming real with each passing day either of my parent returned from work and not bring up matters about going out of the state or spending the night out.

"That's exactly what I said Dora, weren't you listening? I have an urgent meeting to attend in Abuja which might take three to four days. I'll be leaving this afternoon."