Chapter 9

Kain's POV

I felt irritated and annoyed that I was even at this party my parents were hosting at their house. Given how my mom has been treating the girl I loved, I was not in the mood to celebrate their love?

"Atleast pretend to smile?" Roman says as he took next to me in his Dior suit tailored to fit him like a glove.

"Shut up." I say smiling at him making him laugh. I knock back the drink in my hand as another person approaches us to say hello.

"How was your lunch with Zara?" I ask him.

"Good actually. Thought she was going to nag me about Rosie but she made some good points. I need to move on from Samantha."

"I think thats a good thing." I say patting his shoulder as he rolled his eyes. "I know youre pissed shes not here."

"Yeah, whenever I suggest she skips work Zara has a melt down."

"Because she has bills to pay. Maybe you should be more thankful you do not even know how much your rent is." He says and I roll my eyes. "If Zara would let me she'd never have that worry."

"She doesnt want your help. She wants to achieve it herself."

"Just because you play ice hockey and want to win a game doesnt mean that you have this desire to succeed in life. You just want to succeed in winning the game." I tell him and he laughs. "Which is succeeding in life? Duh?" Kai says appearing.

"You good?" He asks Roman who nods. The two always shared a deeper connection like Julian and I, I guess. He looked at him with a true sadness almost for him. They have been in sports together since they could walk.

"Wow. Who is that?" Kai asks as we look at some girl who was walking into the room and found the waiter with champagne. She had longer strawberry blonde hair and looked like had a bored look on her face.

"Go find out." I say and Kai smiles knocking back his drink and walks over striking a conversation with the girl.

"Helloo..." I say as Charlie and Hailey appear.

"Hey." They say. Once again, in matching gold sequinced but a little different dresses. "Cute." I say and Hailey rolled her eyes making me laugh.

"I live with you guys. I saw you excited about the dress." Roman says.

"Im more excited about this ending." Hailey says.

"I want to go play fortnite." Charlie says. She was a big gamer nerd and that was what we loved doing together. I didnt really have much to discuss with Hailey.

"Shall we sneak out?" I ask and she laughs.

"Eh... not so fast." My mom says appearing. She kisses my cheek and then Roman's. "Hi mom." He says as I ignore her.

"Where is Zara?" She asks.

"I rather her not be subjected to a hostile environment." I say. My mom just ignores my comment and I look at my dad approaching.

"Hey kids. Kain, Roman you look like such grown handsome men." He says smiling at us. "We need to take some pictures."

"Sir, its time for your speech." A lady says to my dad. "Give me one moment please." He says.