Chapter 10

Zara

"I got you something." Kain says as he walks into my bedroom filled with boxes. We were trying to move everything before we went away tomorrow.

"What?" I ask as I look up.

"Food." He says as he sits down on the foor. The nice smell invaded my body and I smile. I have been ignoring my stomach rumbles all afternoon because I wanted to just be done with this.

"Thank you, you are the best." I say as I open the bag. "You got me sushi." I say smiling. "And some dumplings."

He gets out the chopsticks as I start eating. "How close are we to being done?" He asks. He offered for movers to come and pick up everything but I wanted to go through my things. I have lived here for nearly 3 years now? It was the only home I knew that was my safe place and mine that I did not have to share with anyone. Being in foster care was a lot of sharing and nothing was ever yours.

"Nearly... I just my bedroom left. I am not taking much with me. Just getting rid of a lot of stuff." I sigh. "Kind of sad... I was really excited buying a lot of this and having my own place." I tell him and he nods.

"I get that." He says. "Would you feel better bringing them with you? Your plates and stuff? Ill get rid of the ones in my place."

"Really?" I ask him and he nods. "Ofcourse. You can bring whatever. Your pillow?"

"Nah your pillows are way nicer." I say and he laughs.

"I think we had good times here?" I say and Kain nods. "We sure did... I have stood outside that door for hours because you were mad at me." He says and I laugh. "Or when you kicked it down and had to replace it? My landlord then said the door you got was too nice and did not match the others, so you replaced all the doors." I laugh and he just rolled his eyes.

"Remember when I took you on our first date? Your neighbour came out and tried to fight me." He says. "The old man."

"Yeah, Mr Jo loved me." I smile. He passed away in his sleep last year. "I miss him. Our first kiss was because you wanted to make the old man jealous infront of my door."

"Thats what you thought? I just wanted to kiss you." He says making my heart jump in a cheesy pathetic way. He gives me a cheesy grin making me laugh.

"You wanted to do everything by yourself, so I rented a moving van and we are gonna have to load it all in." He says getting up. "This is probably the first time you have ever done labour.

"Yep." He smiles. He looked almost excited about it. "I need to go get the van. I will be back in 20 minutes." He says and I nod as he leans in kissing my lips.

I carry on boxing my stuff up and find my photo album. It was very small and only had a few pictures. It was Zade and I in different stages of life. When we first got into foster care, when we got separated... when we reunited for a bit. Random other foster children and then the day Zade turned 18, he applied for guardianship and I have a picture of him collecting me.  The two of us smiling, the random neighbour took the picture of us standing outside his apartment. We were so happy that day. Then slowly, he got busier and stupider with his friends.

I have a picture of Veronica and me smiling as she had dyed my hair blonde. It made me so sad, that they were now just no longer a part of my life. I miss those versions of them. It almost felt like grief, as if they had died...

I take the album with me regardless. It was still a part of my life. Still a part of my identity. I didnt realize I was crying until I heard a knock on my door.

I get up and wipe my face quickly and answer the door. Kain had a key so it wasnt him. To my surprise, it was his father. It looked odd seeing him at my door. How did he even know where I lived? I wasnt sure why I was questioning this since hes probably one of the wealthiest men in the country.