The Beat of Rebellion: Mickey's Dance Between Dreams and Demands

Sweat, adrenaline, and the beat consume Mickey's senses as he keeps up with the guitars: Wham, bam, crash, boom. The drumsticks move as if they are extensions of Mickey's arms. With every hit, they scream, shout, and yell. He steals a sec to glance up at the audience and can almost feel the room pulsating with the rhythm. Everyone is caught up in the whirlwind. Dancing, jumping, laughing in the dimly lit bar that is usually filled with old drunks and prostitutes. Mickey lets himself get lost in the drums.

The concert ends as the singer stage dives into the crowd making the audience cheer and throw their drinks around. Mickey feels relieved as they go off the stage; playing for an hour and a half is no fucking joke. The pulsating energy of the crowd still resonates in his ears as he steps out into the cool night.

"Great gig, guys. Crowd was eating it up." Max exhales a cloud of smoke, voice a little raspy after singing and screaming.

Mickey sighs, letting the cold air fill his lungs. "Yeah, not bad."

Mickey never thought he'd perform in front of a live audience. He was more comfortable playing drums at home. But his friend Max, the lead singer, convinced him and Eddie, the bassist, to perform gigs. During their first gig, Mickey was too nervous to look up from his drumkit. But as they did more shows, he gained more confidence. Now, he feels proud looking at the small but loyal fan group they've managed to create.

"Wanna grab some drinks?" Eddie asks, swinging his bass around his shoulder.

Max nods and throws the cigarette butt away, "Sure."

"I gotta head home. Don't want to explain to my old man where I've been all night."

Max's eyebrows pull together in confusion, "Why's that?"

To put it truthfully, Mickey had ditched an important drug delivery to do the show. He wasn't sure why he chose to perform over the family business, but he just... wanted to feel free that night. Moreover, they had planned the show almost a week before, and the drug delivery came up so suddenly. He'll just add fuel to the fire if he stays out longer. Mickey knows he'll have to take whatever his dad is going to give him tonight, whether it's a pistol whipping or just a regular old whooping. He could handle it. Had for so many years. But Mickey can't just say all that. He shakes his head, "Dunno, he'll just get pissed."

"Ight', man. Take care."

As Mickey walks away from the bar, he can still hear the distant sounds of laughter and music. The night air is crisp and the neon lights of the South Side flicker in the distance. His mind is a mix of post-performance high and the impending storm awaiting him at home. He opens the door and sighs.

"The hell've you been, boy?" Terry eyes him in a way that's both annoyed and suspicious while puffing on his cigarette. The living room is filled with the sharp smell of smoke, a common background for the tense moments that usually happen in the Milkovich household. Iggy, Colin, and Mandy are sitting by the table, busily counting cash and occasionally glancing towards him with caution.

He sighs, shoulders slumping. "Out," Mickey repeats, his voice low but firm.

Terry narrows his eyes, a cloud of smoke escaping from his nose as he exhales. "Doin' what? You sure skipped out on a hell of a lotta trouble here."

"Sorry, pops." Mickey offers a half-hearted apology, his eyes avoiding direct contact. The weight of Terry's disappointment hangs heavy in the air, and Mickey knows that whatever excuse he provides won't be enough.

"Sorry ain't gonna cut it, Mick. You think you can just run off when we get serious business?" Terry's voice, rough and unforgiving, cuts through the room. Mickey opens his mouth and closes it again, thinking about what to say. Terry takes a step closer, the glow of his cigarette casting flickering shadows on the worn carpet.

"We don't get breaks in this family. You know the deal."

Mickey clenches his jaw, the frustration evident in his eyes. He nods, acknowledging the unspoken rules that hold the Milkovich household - rules written in violence, crime, and an unspoken loyalty to the family's criminal legacy.

His dad's stern gaze lingers for a moment longer before he mutters, "Get your shit together. This ain't a game."

Mickey nods again, relieved that he didn't get a beating. As his dad retreats to the couch, Mickey heads to his room, the door closing with a quiet click. The sounds of hushed conversations and the occasional clink of coins being counted continue in the background. The lights outside are flickering, casting an uncertain glow on the South Side. It's like they're mirroring the uncertain path Mickey's walking in his crazy dance between family and the many demands of a life he never asked for.