A Shimmer of Hope

As Fiona moves closer to Ian's room, the unmistakable sound of retching pierces the silence, followed by the harsh splatter of vomit hitting the floor with sickening force. "Bleurgh!" The guttural sound reverberates through the hallway.

"Ah, fuck," Mickey's voice cuts through the air.

With swift movements, she slides open the accordion door, her eyes immediately landing on the scene before her. Ian is on his knees, hunched over a puddle of vomit on the floor, his face contorted in agony as he grips his belly tight.

"Get him to the toilet," she instructs. Ian's sniffling response is barely audible over the sound of his labored breathing.

"I'm sorry, I'll clean it," he manages to choke out between gasps.

Fiona shakes her head, a wave of sadness washing over her. "Go, I'll take care of this," she reassures him.

Mickey steps forward with a look of concern on his face as he gently guides Ian towards the bathroom. The sound of retching continues as they disappear behind the closed door, the stark reminder of the toll that withdrawal is taking on Ian's body and mind.

That, coupled with his ongoing depressive episode makes each day a struggle for Ian. Fiona knows firsthand the challenges that he faces, having witnessed the highs and lows of his condition over the years.

Fiona grabs the rag and dips it in hot water before cleaning up the puddle on the floor.

It's been about a week since they got back home, and Fiona still remembers the tiredness etched into every line of Ian's face when they walked through the front door. With her busy schedule at the diner, jam-packed with rush hours and endless chores, she's doing her best to pitch in wherever she can. So, it's a relief seeing Mickey stepping up and taking care of Ian.

Fiona's whole view of Mickey has flipped. She used to think he was this tough, hard-assed drummer who spits in anyone's face. However, he's proven himself to be anything but. Tending to Ian's every need—whether it's shushing noise outside the bedroom when Ian is sleeping, helping him cook or cooking for him, making sure he takes his medication, rubbing his back whenever he's puking or holding him when he's crying, or even running cold showers to ease his fever—his dedication is evident, Fiona can see that, anyone could see that.

As Fiona observes Mickey's interactions with Ian every day she can't help but notice the amount of gentleness in his touch, the love evident in every kiss and caress. There's a tenderness in Mickey's demeanor that she never expected to see, a side of him that contrasts the tough outside he once played. Ian has brought out a softer and more compassionate side of Mickey, one that she never knew existed. The way they look at each other, the way they lean into each other's embrace, Fiona misses the passion too. Her love life with Sean isn't perfect. But Mickey really seems to love Ian.

She's happy that they've got each other.