Rubies

Tillie got a meager meal of mashed potatoes and pineapple. She got excited when she found out that there was a gluten-free triple chocolate cake she could have. The color of it mimicked her dad's color fur.

"Great," Tillie started happily. "I was getting too many brain freezes from this ice cream."

She gingerly placed her plate down on the table and sat in the chair directly in front of her food. As Tillie was about to take a bite out of her fruit, she noticed a yellow reflection on her basically empty plate. Chucky? No, he's avoiding me right now, Tillie thought.

"Hey," Lucky greeted Tillie and pointed at the chair unoccupied by anyone or anything next to Tillie's spot. "This seat taken?"

"Nope. It's all yours," Tillie answered.

Lucky sat down with his plate. He had gotten three slices of bread, a heaping helping of macaroni and cheese, some fruit, and a generous amount of pulled pork. With his lunch, he had already gotten his many cake desserts. Upon seeing so much gluten, Tillie scooted her chair away a few inches. Lucky noticed her gesture.

"Oh, sorry. Celiac disease. Can you not be close to it?" Lucky looked as if he was in another place, mentally. "'It' meaning 'wheat', that is."

Tillie shook her head. "I can be near it, I just prefer keeping my distance." She watched as Lucky completely ignored his probably nutritious lunch and dove straight into his red velvet cake. "To avoid... accidents." She eyed Lucky's cake's crumbs cautiously. (Try saying that three times fast.)

"Do you happen to know what the birthstone is for July?" Lucky said as he wiped some red crumbs off his face, obviously done with talking about Tillie's concerns about his eating habits. "Pearl?"

"Pearls are June. July's birthstone is a ruby. Why?" she asked. Tillie thought the "why" she asked was stupid. Winnie's birthday was in July. Of course Lucky wanted to get a gift for her sister.

"Why? Well, Winnie. I can't get her out of my head, really." Lucky paused for a moment, as if he was daring the patterns on the floor to say otherwise. "Wait. Rubies are like, really expensive, right? Maybe that's over the top."

"Maybe?" Tillie quipped. "What are you talking about, maybe? Duse, even the smallest rubies are several hundred dollarbucks."

"Yeah." Lucky sighed, sounding defeated. "I thought that might happen."

Tillie added to her previous statement. "Plus, that's, like, a big gesture for just a crush."

Or maybe more, she continued in thought.

Lucky finished off his cake and took out his phone. As he typed in Google, he spoke the words being typed out loud. "How to impress your crush." He put an emphasis on the word impress, due to the fact that he couldn't spell it right a couple of times, and his bestie autocorrect wasn't with him at the Google search bar.

Tillie shook her head. "Dude, why?"

"Because."

"But, like, actually why."

"I already told you." Lucky began to look through responses. "Just because."

"Seriously?" Tillie rolled her eyes. Give me an actual reason."

"Because," Lucky paused in his mindless scrolling and turned his startling eyes to Tillie's. They were golden hazel, not at all like his younger brother's. The color reminded Tillie of peanut brittle, and so did the quality. There were little lines of black everywhere, as if someone already broke the brittle, and it didn't turn out quite symmetrical. Tillie ignored that fact. "Because, I think it's more than a crush," Lucky finished.

Tillie refused to return Lucky's gaze, because that would be kind of awkward to stare into your sister's crush's eyes twice. "Wow. That escalated quickly."

"Aha!" Lucky almost dropped his phone into his lunch. He looked like he wanted to speak, but then stopped himself to ask a question. "Does Winnie mind touch?"

Lucky's question startled Tillie a bit, but she answered. "Judging by how she reacted when you two ice skated and danced, no. Probably not. Why?"

"Ah, the dancing," Lucky's tone turned almost wistful as he completely ignored Tillie's rather important question.

"You're down haaaaaaaard," Tillie whistled.

"She might hear you!" Lucky shushed Tillie and hid behind his phone.

Tillie laughed as the both of them continued to eat their food. Soon, the others arrived. They all finished lunch and headed to the pool.

_________________________________________________

SURPRISE!! U thought I left, didn't u??

(U prob didn't bc I literally posted smth yesterday let me have my fun.)

Honestly, I don't really feel like giving shout outs rn so ty for anyone who interacted with my story from whenever I last updated to today ig.

MY TAG PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED!! WATTPAD IS HAPPY I UPDATED!!

2.8K!! 3K by the summer??

Hope u enjoyed this chapter my lovelies!!

- blueyobsessed17