{17}

The suite was magnificent. It was almost a piece of art. The gold threading and the silver cuffs shone brightly in the evening sun. My eyes glanced past the sea of blue fabric. Every time I moved, the gold shone. And every time I stood still, the suite glowed another color.

I didn't understand this man.

He was furious just a few days ago. The way he looked at me like he wanted to skin me alive was still vivid in my mind. I had repeated that day over and over again in my head. Until I could recite it. It seemed as if he would never have come around. But now...

A restrained sigh escaped my lips. I slowly closed my eyes and took a deep breath. The air in my lungs stung like a thousand needles. My head felt heavy and body ached. I was exhausted. I had not ran around or overworked myself. But I still felt like I was on the verge of collapsing.

I took not another second to look at myself in that mirror. I turned around and left that godforsaken room for the first time in days. You would imagine that walking out of that room must have been euphoric. But nothing had changed. I was still restrained at this house. Whether that be with or without the freedom to walk these halls.

Sometimes I just wished I could end it all. That I could just die.

But what would my mother say if she looked down and saw me not on earth, but in hell.

"Mother."