{23}

"I can't answer your questions. So please. I beg of you... don't ask. Don't make me lie to you." I whispered.

The man let go of me. "We had to learn of your existence from others. We had to rely on rumors and whispers to know wether you were alive or dead..."

"Do you know what you put us trough? What you put Sophia through?" 

I felt ashamed. But only I knew I had no other choice. "I apologize Raymond-"

"Ray." He corrected. "You may have abandoned us. But you did so with a broken heart and I will not hold it against you. That also means that our years of friendship hasn't faded. Please... call me Ray again."

I couldn't help the little smile that creeped its way up my lips. I could feel my heart beat fasten. How long had it been since I had last seen them. How many times had I dreamed of this moment just to punish myself, by shaking those thoughts away. Telling myself that it was just not possible.

But here they are. They came to me. Even after...

I almost didn't want to ask them. But I knew that if I didn't right now, I may never have the chance again.

"How much... have you heard." I asked. Almost unable to bring myself to speak those words.

"Is that why you walked away when I first called out to you Kaede?" Again. She called my name out with such affection.

"I..." I didn't dare to look at them.

They both fell silent. And I couldn't help but fear the worst. Sophia must have realized as she quickly brought her hand to my face and made me face her. She replied. "We do not care about nor believe those rumors. Humans are horrible beings and they will say whatever pleases them. And whatever bring them most pleasure and power."

"Sophia is right Kaede. We know who you are. We know what you've been through. Let's not forget how close we once were."

"What did you hear?"

"..."

"Please tell me."

"You must already know how awfully those monsters talked about you. And we want you to know that we do not believe a single word." Sophie reassured me. I knew I could trust them. But my mind wouldn't let me have that peace.

"Tell me."

"T-they..." Sophie couldn't bring herself to say it. She had always been like that. So Ray took it over. And the words pained me more than I had willed.

"The rumors say you slept your way up the Inugamie household. That you're a whore who doesn't deserve the power he has. That you've been unfaitfull and-"

"Raymond! That is enough!" Sophie held her brother back.

I clenched my teeth and closed my eyes.

"He deserved to know Sophie." Raymond said to her. But I could still see the guilt in their eyes.

I smiled at my old friends. It was good to know they still cared.

"It's okay."