{18}

He had not told me where it was we were heading. But there was no need to. I knew. Of course I knew. I would have to be blind and deaf to not notice the months of preparations made in advance. To not notice the maids who hurried through the halls and the planners whose life drained out of them once they realized how little time they had left.

I carefully glanced up to the man sitting in front of me. And like an animal on guard he noticed my gaze. His sharp eyes shot towards me. But I didn't look away. I looked straight into those dark eyes.

His gaze was heavy. On the surface his expression looked calm. Almost enjoyable. But after years of marriage. And after many moons spend entangled between his sheets. I could see it. I could see the coldness in his eyes. And the stone he carried for a heart.

But even then I had learned to embrace that coldness. Even then I had learned to love that man.

I felt my cheek burn. The sensation had lingered even after days. I looked away. Staring out of the car. Watching the trees disappear and sun melting away.

And all of a sudden, I felt empty. Like the world had drained me from everything I had.

I closed my eyes. And he appeared. His wedding suite embracing his body just as graceful and elegant as it did that first day. But this time his cold face held a warm smile. One I could only dare to imagine.

He looked beautiful.