{22}

"Bastard!" She balled her delicate hands into fists and softly hit me on my chest. "How dare you walk away like that?!" She had screamed.

I had no other choice but to place my hand on her mouth. If she would've yelled out like this anymore, Akira would fold my neck for disturbing the meeting.

"Please. Don't yell. Not here..." I glanced over my shoulder towards the doors. When I looked back at her, her gaze had softened for just a moment.

She took my hand off her lips and dragged me through the halls. Far away from those doors. And far away from hís ears.

The man standing behind her followed us. Not uttering a word. But always looking my way. I knew what he was looking at. And it pained me.

We had already reached the other side of the hall before I knew it. The woman turned towards me and let go of my arm.

"I have finally found you after years. And you dare to walk away?" She said. Her voice full of pain and anger. Tears glistering in her eyes.

I couldn't reply. The man behind her stepped forward. He reached out to me and pulled me into a tight hug. Almost suffocating me. But I didn't dare to resist. Because in these last two minutes, I had felt more love than I had these past years. And I wanted to cry it out. I wanted to hold them both and just scream. Scream the pain away. Scream until I couldn't scream no more.

But I didn't. Because I knew I couldn't.

He let go. His face changing between relief and concern. Like it couldn't choose what to feel. But even then he finally spoke.

"How are you dear friend?" He had asked.

I still couldn't bring myself to answer. I looked on as the petit girl reached her shaking hand towards the piece of metal that posed as my arm.

I could see the blood draining out of her pretty face.

Sophia...

The man slowly took her hand and held it down. I saw him shake his head in disapproval. He didn't want to hurt me. But it still stung my heart to see how careful they were around me. Like I was made of glass. Hanging of the side of a building. With only a thin tread as leverage.

"You disappeared." The young man said. "Why?" 

Why... I had asked myself that question more times than I cared to remember. Over the years I had asked myself 'why?' over and over until the word lost its meaning. But I never answered.

Just like I didn't answer this time.

I could see it angered the man. He reached out to my shoulders. Holding them tightly as he shook my being.

"Why Kaede! How could you?"