{25}

The ride back home was unbearable. He had his eyes glued on me. From the moment I came back after dancing with Sophie, until this very moment inside the car.

His coal black eyes stared deep into my soul. Watching my every move. I felt like I was walking on thin ice.

I couldn't help but regret ever taking Sophie to dance.

I had my head lowered. I didn't dare to look at him. He was still mad about those papers. And now I had angered him even more. He had warned me not to dance. I shouldn't have done that.

That was stupid.

I felt the crawling sensation of fear creeping on my skin. I couldn't help it. It was imprinted in me. Like a dog learning how to 'stay'. I had long learned to keep quiet when he looked at me like that. The silence only grew as we drew closer to home.

I did not want to care. I really didn't. But I couldn't help feeling this way. The way he looked at me made me imagine the worst.

'As long as he doesn't ask me to join him tonight...'

I felt a shiver run down my spine. As much as I came to love this man, I could not spend the night with him when he was like this. Not without fearing for my life. He couldn't care less about what happened to me once he was mad. My hands started to tremble at the thought.

I was so lost into those thoughts that I hadn't noticed the change in his gaze. So the words he spoke hit me harder than expected.

"You never told me you were engaged."

And like the world collapsed on me, I felt my heart fall down to my feet. The air sucked out of my lungs and my body froze.

A thousand different thoughts ran trough my head. How did he find out? How much does he know? Why ask now?... But those were all in vain. Because there was only one way he could've ever found out.

'Raymond... what the hell did you tell him?'

I felt anger seep into my bones, replacing the fear. I swallowed and tried to gather myself. I would rather he hit me again than talk about this.

I had left Raymond alone with Akira for only a moment. 'How much did he tell him.'

I couldn't help the memories flooding into my mind. And along, the pain with it.

"What is the point in talking of the death, Akira." I realized, only after the words had left my mouth, how harsh I had spoken to him. 

His cold gaze hadn't strayed from my face.

And like a programmed doll, I lowered my head. "I-I'm sorry. I-" 

He waved his hand so to shut me up.

"That's enough."