Chapter Forty Three: Run From It All

Trigger Warning ⚠️ contains mentions of sexual abuse

June 2007
Part Two

Two police cars sat in the dirt driveway, both completely empty. Three officers sat inside with Edie, Nolan, and Aunt Lynn talking about Charles. At first Nolan was scared but seeing his eldest sister remain calm helped him begin to feel comfortable enough to tell the officers everything Charles had ever done to him, and there was a hell of a lot. The man was absolutely sick, twisted. Depraved. He deserved to be locked away in prison for a long time, with the other inmates aware of his perverse nature and crimes he had committed against children.

The officers wanted Edie and Nolan to go down to the police station to be formally interviewed, and Aunt Lynn agreed. She told them she'd bring them in several hours later, after she had given them something to eat. They said their goodbyes and soon left in their squad cars. Aunt Lynn began preparing lunch - honey garlic sausages, pasta salad, and corn on the cob, all leftovers from the night before. Brian and the rest of the Mullens were outside doing chores, mainly caring for the numerous farm animals. Nolan sat on the floor with one of the dogs, a black and white border collie named Shrek. Shrek hadn't left his side the entire time the officers had been inside and he really seemed to comfort the kid.

"Your uncle called our lawyers before the police left, and they'll be meeting us at the station. We want to support you the best we possibly can."

"I'm almost scared to go back at the end of summer. I really don't want to go back, if I'm being honest. I don't really belong there, Aunt Lynn." Edie admitted quietly to her aunt. "He won't stop unless he's behind bars. Charles doesn't care, he thinks he's above the law."

"I don't wanna get your hopes up, darling. But I want to see if your uncle and I are able to be granted temporary emergency custody. This absolutely should not have happened to either one of you." Aunt Lynn switched the stove off and began plating the food. She was an amazing cook.

xoxo

"I'm scared." whispered Nolan as he squeezed his sister's hand. They'd just arrived to the police station.

"It'll be alright, Noley. Just tell them the truth. Everything you can remember." Edie reassured her baby brother and gave him a small hug. He tried to smile, his blond bangs falling into his sad blue eyes. He'd need a haircut soon.

An officer led them down a hall and into a small room that had a couch, a table, and several plastic chairs. He told them someone would be with them shortly and excused himself, closing the door behind him. A couple minutes later Uncle Rick and his lawyers walked in. They were a married couple, and close friends of the family.

"If it helps any, I can remember most of the dates and times he assaulted me." Edie told them as someone knocked on the door.

"We're ready for you." A woman in a grey pantsuit poked her head in and smiled politely. She took a seat next to Aunt Lynn and explained what was going to happen. "We have two rooms set up for forensic interviews. The interviews will be recorded for documentation purposes, just so we have it all on record."

Edie answered every question to the best of her abilities. But in the middle of the interview she couldn't hold back her tears; the interviewer was very thorough and she needed every last detail.

"Sorry. I didn't think I'd cry about this." Edie wiped away her tears with the sleeve of Brian's red and black hoodie, and proceeded to answer the previous question. "It always happened in his office, which has soundproof walls so he isn't bothered by noise. Or at least that's just what he's been telling my Mom."

"Would you tell me about the first time he assaulted you?" She asked.

Edie nodded. "It was a Sunday, after we ate dinner. I remember because I'd forgotten to unload the dishwasher, mostly due to an email I'd gotten from a friend. I hadn't replied yet. Anyway, I ended up in his office and he'd taken off his belt. At first I thought he was just going to hit me with it because he'd done that before. But then he'd unbuttoned his pants. I hadn't noticed before but he had a huge bulge in his pants. He wasn't wearing any underwear so when his pants fell to the ground he was completely naked from the waist down."

xoxoxo

Three long days later, Uncle Rick's lawyers called. Charles had been taken into custody and was facing charges, as well as serious jail time and a possible trial. In which Edie and her brother would probably have to testify. It intimidated her. She'd had no problem telling the officer that had interviewed her what Charles had done, but a judge, in a room full of people, was something else entirely. No doubt it would be traumatic for her brother; he'd been very emotional since his interview and practically clung to her.

Brian was there when she typed an email to Bill, telling him everything. She felt she could breathe now. Bill had been absolutely unaware of everything her stepfather had done to her physically and he was pretty horrified to say the least.

After cleaning the stables, Edie, Brian and Logan were dropped off at the mall. Logan had made plans days before to see the new Fantastic 4 movie with a friend and invited Edie and Brian. He didn't mind at all if his cousin hung out with his friends; he got along great with her and knew his friends would, too. Especially Rob, who he'd known since first grade. They bought snacks and their tickets, and waited at a nearby table for Rob. It didn't take long for Edie to spot a boy who fit the description Logan had given her - shaggy ginger hair, jeans, and an olive green hoodie. Logan waved him over, grinning. For some reason, Edie found herself blushing when he smiled and said hello to her and instantly felt guilty. Brian passed Rob a bottle of Pepsi, a bag of popcorn, and a movie ticket, and they slowly made their way to the man punching tickets.

"I think he liikes you." Brian whispered once they'd sat in their seats, which were way at the back. Logan insisted they had the best view.

"Oh god. Shut up!" Edie nudged her best friend, clearly embarrassed.

—-
Hi. Sorry it's taken me like a year to actually update. I just got busy.

But I've moved into an apartment, and hopefully I'll have some more time to write than before.
Lemme know what you think!!!