Chapter Twenty

September 1, 2001

Dear Billy

Happy birthday!! 🙂

I'm sorry I didn't get to write you back sooner but Dad's lawyer got Nolan back and he's living with us now. Right now he is hiding under my bed. He's scared of a lot of things and doesn't talk. Dad says it's because of how his mom treated him. I think she must have been really mean to him and that makes me angry. Because someone hurt him like Derrick hurt Mel. And he didn't have anyone to stand up for him but he does now. I'm always going to stand up for him. I'll always take care of him even when we're all grown up and he can take care of himself.

I don't want school to start. Thinking about going back makes me sick and I actually barfed this morning. Another thing that makes me sick is that Mom and Dad went on a date last night. I hope that they don't get back together. They would probably fight all the time like they did before. Of course Mel wants them to get together. Nolan is scared of Mom. He's scared of all grown up ladies.

I'm not scared of Mr Reid. I'm scared of what he'll do to me if I tell. I'm scared he will kill me. He told me that he would kill me and then kill Mel if I ever told. He said he would hurt me a lot worse than Derrick hurt mom before he killed me. He knows I'm scared to die more than anything.

What's your new school like? I hope you make friends. I hope people don't pick on you. They better not.

From yours truly,
Edie

P.S.- you're my best friend too. I tell you more than I tell Jordan. I hope you like the birthday card I made for you.