Chapter Twenty Nine

June 18, 2004

Dear Billy,

When I called Dad last night the operator said that the number had been disconnected. So I had to tell Nolan that he was busy and couldn't talk. I hate lying to him but it's so much easier than having to tell him the truth. Which is that Dad's ditched us.

Mom talks to me now and tells me things she doesn't tell Mel. I'm glad she trusts me. She told me about Dad's problem with drugs and alcohol, and that his dad had the same problem. But he died from it. She accepted the job in order to be able to give us a new start without him. As much as I miss Brian and Jordan I'm glad she did. I'm glad she moved us to a different country. She also told me that before we left, Dad gave her a piece of paper that said he gave her sole legal custody of us. It makes me sad because I know how hard he worked to get custody and he just gave it away like it was the easiest thing in the world. I don't get it.

He probably left the province. Maybe even the country. He always said he wanted to go to California. Vegas too. Is it dumb of me to miss him? Because I do. A lot. Maybe he's happier without us asking for him to do stuff he never wanted to do anyway.

School is alright, I guess. We have uniforms and I have to wear a stupid skirt every day. I have no idea what the other kids are talking about because they say everything differently here. They call potato chips crisps. It's weird. And when I talk they laugh so most of the time I don't bother.

There are kids in our neighbourhood and sometimes Mom makes us play with them. There are a couple my age and they're snobs. They think there's something wrong with me because I don't like makeup or fashion or shopping like they do. Yesterday they asked if I liked girls as more than friends and when I said I didn't they told me to stop lying, that they knew I was a dyke and they were going to tell everyone at school. I hate them so much. But Mom loves them, and they're always around.

I don't even know what a dyke is.

I want to go home. I miss Jord and Bri so much but especially Bri. I hate that I can't call him every night because it runs up the phone bill and Mom can't afford that. So I have to send them letters. I wonder if I could call you! That would be so cool! Since Germany and Britain are both in Europe. I'll have to ask Mom about it.

I can't believe I almost forgot to tell you that Mom found a church that's the same as the one back at home and she wants us to join. But I don't want to go and we fight about it a lot. I don't want Mel or Nolan to go either because I know Nolan is young enough to be brainwashed into thinking it's right. Mel already does and that's bad enough.

I have history homework to finish so I'm gonna go do that. Yuck. You should do it for me.

From yours truly,

Edie