Chapter Thirteen

June 30, 2000

Dear Edie,

I am sorry you are sad. Why do you hate school so much? Ricky needs to leave you alone. I think you really should tell your dad about Ricky and Mr Kohl. Tom thinks so too. And about Derrick's smoking and drinking because it will only get worse.

My mom gave me her English-German dictionary when I asked if I could still write to you and said yes. I am getting better at English but I can't speak it at all and when I try to Tom laughs at me.

I can't wait for it to be August. We are supposed to visit our father for two whole weeks! I hope he doesn't cancel our visit. He did last year and it was the worst summer ever.

I wish your sister would tell you what is wrong. Maybe she is scared to tell. Maybe something bad is happening to her.

The band is doing ok. We are still not famous. Georg's parents are getting a divorce. He doesn't want to talk about it at all. Gustav says to tell you to punch Ricky again and not to let Mr Kohl get to you. If you were here, we wouldn't let anyone be mean to you.

I failed my mathematics test yesterday. I am not good at mathematics. I hate mathematics. So much. I am not good at art. Or science. Or history. I am not very good at a lot of things. But I am good at being me and that is the most important thing to be good at.

I don't know what else to write.

From Bill

P.S.- please tell your dad about what is happening at school and at your moms.