Chapter Thirty Eight: It's A House, Not A Home

November 2006

Edie reloaded her newest and most recent email from Bill a good two dozen times, rereading it over and over until she had the whole thing memorized. She knew she had to reply within the next few hours, tomorrow at the latest, but had absolutely no idea how or what to say. Choosing to take a break from using the computer, she logged out and decided on something to wear.

There was hardly much of a selection, as her wardrobe consisted mainly of long skirts, shirts, and dresses that were both plain and conservative; all her old clothes had been burned, as Her stepfather believed they were evil and demonic. She absolutely loathed her clothes but wearing them kept her stepfather from getting mad and it was easier for everybody if he wasn't angry.

She pulled a flowery green dress over her head, tugged on a pair of thick wool pantyhose, and searched for a pullover in case she got too cold in the under heated church.

"Edie, you ready?" Nolan tapped on the door before entering the room. "Charles says it's time for us to leave and he doesn't want to be late. Also you missed breakfast, but I snatched you a buttered roll."

"Aw, thanks. You're my favourite brother." Edie smiled faintly and took the roll, still barely warm and fresh from the oven, and took a bite.

"I better be, seeing as I'm the only one you've got." He chuckled and turned to leave. "But we had better get downstairs before he grows too impatient and loses his mind."

"Alright. I'll be down after I put on my worship shoes." Edie said, swallowing the last bite of her buttered roll. The moment she knew she was alone, she giggled joyfully, although very quietly as to avoid being heard.

Finally, an actual boy liked her! And not just any boy, it was Bill - the one person who knew her better than anyone else. He wasn't scared away by her massive load of problems, of her family issues, of her controlling and abusive stepfather. He was the boy who was always there for her, despite his very busy work schedule, and he sacrificed precious sleeping time to reply to her many emails.

Sunday morning meeting seemed to go on for years, although it was never longer than four hours, and Edie was, to say the least, relieved when the guest speaker gave the closing prayers. She and Mel sat in their seats while Charles, Leslie, and Nolan socialized with other members of the congregation. Like they were told to do, they sat in complete silence with perfect posture; Charles loved giving people the impression that they were meek and obedient, willing to please, as he often said that it would make finding a good husband much easier. Little did he know that Edie did not wish to marry someone from the church and in fact didn't even want to get married at all, ever.

"Get your things together, we're off to brunch with the Howards again." Charles ordered from behind them and they slipped on their matching beige dress coats, ready to leave the vicinity as soon as they possibly could.

"I absolutely despise this." Edie breathed, loudly enough for her sister to hear.

"Agreed." Mel whispered as she gave Edie's hand a firm yet gentle squeeze. It had been so long since they last agreed on something, anything, and they smirked at each other. They knew instantly that from that moment on, things between them were back to how they'd been before. "We'll talk later?"

"Yeah, of course." Edie rolled her eyes, unable to stop herself from smiling.

§*‰¥‰*§

"And once more." Mel demanded; they were finally alone in their room, using the computer. "Refresh it so I know it's really real."

"You've seen it at least twenty times. There's no way it's not real." Edie shook her head. "I haven't a clue what to say to him. Any ideas?"

"Not a clue. Maybe how you feel about what he's written? Start from there?" suggested Mel.