Seven

"Shh, she's sleeping.." Vicky's sister, Keisha said pointing toward the couch where a sleeping Mya lay.

"Alright, thank you." She said hugging her sister before picking Mya up and carrying her to the car.

*

Once she got home, she laid Mya down and went to cook dinner. After getting started, she straightened up a bit. Soon, there was the sound of keys in the door. A very sweaty, dirty, Derek walked in.

"Hey, baby. How was work?" She asked as she made her way back to the kitchen. There was a clear view of the living room from there.

"Hard. Unlike that petty shit you do." He said plopping on the couch.

"Bad day, huh?" Vicky said with a sigh.

"Whatever, man." Derek said waving her off.

"I would appreciate it if you didn't down my job, Derek." Vicky said looking up from the sink.

"I would appreciate it if you did some actual work." Derek hissed kicking off his shoes.

"Ok, well can you not put your work shoes in there today, I'm trying to keep the living room clean." Derek smacked his lips. He grabbed his shoes and made his way to the bedroom.

"Now you wanna clean some shit.." He mumbled walking past her.

She ignored him and continued to cook. Once dinner was ready she fixed everyone a plate and went to wake Mya up. Derek grabbed his plate from the counter and went back into the bedroom, slamming the door behind him.

"Well, looks like it's just me and you again." Vicky said lifting Mya onto a stool.

*

"Good Morning, Ms. Vicky!"
"Good Morning, Boe. No trouble last night, right?"
"Nah, no trouble. I was showing the new dude, Macky, the ropes.."
"Macky? Who's that?"
"I don't know his real name."
"Usually everybody tells me their nickname."
"Maybe he didn't know. It's the one with the weird blondish hair."
"Oh, ok."

...
"Victoria! On time today?" Hillary said giving a wild smile.

"Hillary, yesterday was my first day being late, give me a break." Vicky let out a frustrated breath. She was at the vending machine again.

"Let me see that!" Hillary said snatching the dollar. After two more attempts the dollar finally went in.

"Thank you." Vicky said grabbing her chips.

"I just wanted to prove you can't do the slightest of jobs." Hillary shrugged and walked out of the lounge.

Feelings hurt, Vicky walked into the main hall to check on the new inmates. When she got there, Franklin wasn't in his cell, he was in the yard. She moved to Terrance and Stevens cell to see them both with depressed looks on their faces.

"Cheer up." They turned to look at her. She smiled at them. "As long as you do what your suppose to do, it won't be too bad."

"Thanks, Officer Crane." Steven spoke up.

"Ms. Vicky.." She corrected.

"Thanks, Ms. Vicky." Terrance said. She nodded and made her way to Macky's cell.

"Uh hey." She said getting his attention from the paper he was writing on. He looked at her and smiled catching her off guard by how nice his smile was.

"Why didn't you tell me to call you Macky?" She asked.

"The same reason you didn't tell me to call you Ms. Vicky." He retorted.

"Alrighty, well my name is Ms. Vicky.." She said reintroducing herself.

"I'm Macky, Ms. Vicky." He said nodding. He turned his attention back to his paper. Vicky walked away and went to see some other inmates with a weird feeling in her stomach.