Twenty Eight

"Uh, Ms. Johnson?"

"Hello..."

"Hi, my name is Vicky. I'm a friend of Macky's."

"Oh, Macky's away right now."

"I know, he's the one who told me to come here, to check on you."

"He did?"

"Yea, he told me someone robbed your house..."

"Yes, a couple weeks ago."

"Can I come in?"

"Yes, darlin'."

...

"You must be Zariah." Vicky guessed as she sat on the couch beside Macky's niece.

"Yep, what's your name?" She asked in a soft voice.

"My name is Vicky." She stated. Zariah immediately gasped and covered her mouth. "What's wrong?"

"I have a doll named Vicky. I'll show her to you!" Zariah hopped off of the couch and ran into the back room.

"Your granddaughter is precious." Vicky complimented, turning her attention to Macky's mother.

"Thank you, she reminds me of Keith, Macky's brother..." She said giving a weak smile.

"Macky told me about how great of a man his brother was." Vicky said.

"He was, but he's long gone now...and I don't even have much to remember him by anymore. His things were stolen." She stated with a sigh. "If you don't mind me asking, how do you know Macky?"

"I'm actually an officer at the prison he's at. So you know..."

"No one can know that you came by. Fine with me." She shrugging with a chuckle. "Macky has always had a way of making friends in any situation."

"Yea, he definitely does." Vicky laughed and nodded in agreement.

"I would offer you something to drink, but I haven't been able to do much of anything since the robbery.."

Just then Zariah came from the back with her doll.

"That's Vicky? I don't do her name justice!" Vicky said taking the doll. "She's gorgeous!"

"So Ms. Johnson, do the cops have any idea who could have done such a thing?" Vicky asked.

"No, but I do. I know it was that evil Monica!" She said with an upset look.

"Who's Monica?" Vicky asked tilting her head.

"Macky's gold digger of a girlfriend. I just know it was her..." She stated, shaking her head.

"Macky has a girlfriend?" Vicky stated trying to cover up her faint hurt.

"Yea, they've been together for years. Why? I don't know but he loves her to death and she just uses my poor baby."

"Oh, well that's unfortunate..." Vicky said with sigh.

"I really have to get going but I'll make sure to tell Macky you're safe and sound." She said rising from her seat.

"I'll give you my number and if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to call."

Vicky wrote her number down and handed it to Macky's mother before saying goodbye to her and Zariah and leaving.