Chapter 0.9 - Prologue: The Branwen twins and the Flame Acolyte

~ Normal pov ~

~•~

The team RNJR are walking through the forest with Ruby looking at a map.

Ruby: Come on, guys! If we pick up the pace, we can hit the next town before sunset.

Jaune: Assuming it's still there.

Ruby: Of course he'll be there. This one's supposed to be a pretty big! Hee-gan...bayn-a.

Ren: Higanbana. It's a well protected village with a popular inn.

Nora: Which means, no camping in the rain!

Ruby: See? Everything's going to be fine!

Jaune: You know, we've had a lot of ups and downs. But things could be a lot worse. I really thought we'd see more Grimm.

Ren: As did I.

Nora: I guess our luck is finally turning around! To Higanbana!

Jaune & Ren: To Higanbana!

Ruby: To Higanban...ban-a!

Just then on the cliff near them, a beowolf shows up as it was about to leap, it was suddenly stabbed by Qrow as he kills it as behind him was Rengoku who finishes the last one of the pack.

Qrow: Hmph. "Luck".

He scoffed.

~•~

It's raining on the village of Higanbana. Through the window of an inn, the four kids are shown silently discussing with the proprietor. Through yet another window being from the inside of the tavern, Qrow and Rengoku both sits at a table, watching.

A waitress sets a glass with liquor and ice in front of them, mostly for Qrow.

Qrow: Oh, I didn't-

Waitress: From the woman upstairs. Red eyes. Said you wouldn't mind a bottom shelf. And also a meal for the man here will be ready in a few minutes. Also from her.

Qrow and Rengoku both turns and looks up. And overheard shot shows the spacious lower level of the tavern and its several round tables, while the edge of a balcony is just visible. They both turned back.

Qrow: Thanks.

Waitress: But I went ahead and gave you top. Lucky you!

She winks before she leaves as Qrow is still looking at her.

Qrow: Yeah.

Rengoku: Qrow, let's go see what she wants to talk about.

Qrow: Alright.

He says, taking his class as they go upstairs. Raven waits for them at one of the tables, her mask atop it.

Raven: Hello, brother, Rengoku.

Qrow stares at her from the top of the stairs for a moment as Rengoku was patient before moving to her.

Qrow: Raven.

Rengoku: It's nice to see you again.

They both go to her table and post the chairs that's beside her and drags it to a position across from her instead. With his hand on the back of the chair, Qrow simply looks at her expectantly. Raven rolls her eyes and moves her mask to the side. Qrow sits down.

Qrow: So, what do you want?

Raven: A girl can't just catch up with her family and a friend?

Qrow: She can, but you're not. How about we get on with it?

He says as he drinks from his glass.

Qrow: Unless you plan on keeping these coming.

He sets the glass down.

Raven: Does she have them?

Neither Rengoku nor Qrow both didn't answer right away, instead, Qrow running his fingertip along the edge of his glass.

Qrow: Did you and Yin both know Yang has a huge scar on her arm?

Raven: That's not-

Qrow: Rhetorical question. I know you know she knew. It's just obnoxious that you'd bring up family and then carry on like your other daughter doesn't exist.

Raven: I saved her.

Qrow: Once. Because that was your rule, right? Real "mom of the year" material, sis.

Raven leans forward and grabs Qrow by the forearm, stilling his sarcastic, nonchalant motions.

Raven: I told you Beacon would fall and it did. I told you Ozpin would fail and he has. Now you tell me. Does. Salem. Have them?

Qrow: I thought you weren't interested in all of that.

Raven: I just want to know what we are up against.

Qrow: And which "we" are you referring to?

Raven glares and finally let's go of her brother and sits back down with a noise of disgust.

Knowing the situation that they were in, Rengoku decided to step in.

Rengoku: Look, he got a couple points there. But can we just calm down? You were right, Raven when you said Beacon would fall but Salem doesn't have relic and a weapon but she has fall maiden's power on her side but we're still searching for the fall guardian's power. And I think you should come back.

Qrow: He's right. The only way we beat her is by working together. All of us.

Raven: You're the one who left and Rave also left. The tribe raised us...and you both turn your backs on them.

Qrow: They were killers and thieves.

Raven: They were your family and they were his family too.

Qrow: You have a very skewed perception of that word.

Raven stands up, upset.

Raven: I led our people now. And as leader, I would do everything in my power to ensure our survival.

Rengoku: We saw. The people of Shion saw, too. They were lucky enough that we were near and saved some people.

Raven: The weak die, the strong lives. Those are the rules.

Qrow: Well, you've certainly got someone strong on your side. We've seen the damage.

Rengoku: But we've defeated some of them.

Raven turns away.

Raven: We couldn't have known the Grimm would set in as quickly as they did.

Qrow: I'm not talking about the Grimm.

Still not facing them, Raven looks up, eyes widening slightly at his words.

Qrow: And I'm not talking about you, either.

Raven: If you don't know where the relic and the weapon are, then we have nothing left to talk about.

As she reaches for her mask, Qrow grabs onto the top of it.

Rengoku: We don't know where the spring maiden and spring guardian are either. But if you do, please tell us.

Raven: This is why I like you, Rengoku. That you are polite unlike my brother.

Raven pulls her mask out of Qrow's grasp.

Rengoku: Thank you, but we still need to know where they are because without them, our chances will be lesser.

As he says, that the lamp on the table next to them goes out. Qrow grimaces as Raven walks away. The sound of her sword being unsheathed is heard and they both looked up, unhappy. Raven walks into her red portal and disappears. There's the sound of breaking glass and a gasp. Qrow and Rengoku both turns to see the waitress, trembling at the sight of Raven disappearing. She takes a conscious step backward as she looks sideways at them.

Qrow then gesturing to his glass.

Qrow: Make this one a double.

~•~