Chapter 3

You woke up at 5:30am, as usual. But you just laid in bed until 6am, you needed to fake running in late for school so you could skip breakfast. At 6:10 you got into the shower, threw on your uniform and at 6:25 went downstairs looking for your mom:

-"Mom, I overslept. Do you think I can still catch the bus?" The bus picked you up usually at 6:30, so it was obvious that if you just headed out to the bus stop, you would be able to catch it just on time.

-"Oh Honey, I wasn't checking the hour, or else I would've woke you up. I can drive you to school, give me 10 minutes while I get ready, you can sit down and have breakfast meanwhile". Andrea answered.

-"No mom, I really need to be there in time today, my chemistry test is at the first hour. Do you think that if I run, I can catch the bus?" You snapped back.

-"Oh yeah! Your test, I forgot. Yeah, go ahead and catch it. Good luck baby. But what about breakfast? You can take the sandwich I was about to eat, I can make another one for me".

-"That'd be great mom! Thank you" you said as you took the sandwich and ran outside. As soon as you got to the bus stop, you threw the sandwich in a trash can, waited for a minute and saw the bus."perfect timing" you murmured to yourself.

You got to school and did the test, you did well: you felt confident answering each of the questions. You felt powerful and on top of everything. You felt in control: of your hunger, of what you ate, of how well you were going to do on the test even on an empty stomach.

As you finished you continued your day normally. Recess passed by and you had nothing to eat, same as lunch. Your friends asked why you weren't eating but you said you had a stomachache and would eat at home. Durning the last two hours of the day you had theater class, one of your favorites, because you got to spend time with your friends as it was an extracurricular activity. You were doing warm up exercises on the stage when you felt dizzy and decided to try to go out of the classroom and catch some fresh air, but within the first step everything went blurry and then black.

When you opened your eyes you were laying down on the floor and all you saw was worried looks from your classmates, the teacher called the school nurse and she was standing there with a wheelchair to take you to the infirmary. As soon as you opened your eyes you tried to stand up, but were quickly stopped by the nurse.

-"Elizabeth, you fainted. How are you feeling?" The nurse asked.

-"A bit lightheaded, but I'm fine. Don't worry".

-"We better take you to the infirmary, take your heart rate and blood sugar. You are pretty cold, Elizabeth". She said touching your right hand.

She helped you get on the wheelchair and told your friends to take your backpack to the infirmary. They worriedly agreed. Before they headed to your classroom to gather your things the theater teacher said:

-"Hey girls, what do you think happened to Elizabeth. She was a bit pale before she fainted. Did she have lunch? Do you know if she's sick?"

One of your friends answered: "she didn't have lunch, she didn't have a snack this morning either. She said she had a stomachache"-

-"Hmmm, okay. Is this kind of normal? Does she skips meals frequently?" Your teacher asked worried.

Your other friend answered: "I mean, she doesn't skips meals frequently, at least not when she's with us. But she does eats very very healthy. She never eats the snack the school offers, just some fruit. When there's no fruit she prefers having nothing, tho".

-"Alright, thank you girls. Go and take Elizabeth's belongings to the infirmary and come back to class".

The teacher texted the nurse telling her what your friends told her. At the infirmary the nurse informed you your heart rate was 42bpm and your blood sugars were low. She asked you what you had for lunch and morning snack and you said you had some soup and for snack an apple because you had a stomachache. The nurse went to type your data on the computer when she saw your teacher's text.