Chapter 13

Tuesday went okay. You had your usual breakfast, went to school, had an apple for morning snack and had gym class. But, while warming up for the usual run, the teacher called you and asked you to do a favor for her: to get the keys of the basketball balls room from the concierge (who was at the other side of the school), come back to the gym, open the room, and bring 20 balls inside a ball cart.

- "But, what about the run?"

- "It doesn't matter. Please do this for me".

You were annoyed, you really wanted to run and burn some calories, but just did what you were told. It took you about 20 minutes to do the whole thing. You brought the basketball balls, and the rest of the class went normally. At the end, the teacher said.

- "Elizabeth, I'd like to have a word with you."

You approached your teacher.

- "Yes, Miss Alder?"

- "I wanted to explain to you why I asked you to bring the balls for me. I can tell that you were annoyed" she said.

- "Oh no, not at all" you replied embarrassed.

- "It's okay, I would've been annoyed too if I was asked to do it. But I did it because we are worried" she said.

- "We? Who's we?" You interrupted in shock.

- "Some other teachers and me. We heard about the fainting last week. You also have been looking kind of sick lately. I just thought it would be better if you didn't run today. You should take it easier with exercise, Elizabeth."

You were furious. Who did she think she was? Who told her to look after you? You hated that everyone was meddling in your life. Your face turned red, but you tried to stay calm:

- "I really appreciate your concern, yours, and all the other teachers. But I want you to know that I'm completely fine. I have no problem on doing this kind of favors for you, but I assure you that I can absolutely exercise. I'm okay. However, once again, thank you" you said without giving her a chance to continue the conversation and left.

You had what you usually had for lunch and finished the day at school normally. When you got home, your mom was not there, so you took the opportunity to go the gym and exercise, since you were boldly banned from doing it by Miss Alder. You did your usual workout and when you came back home you found your mom waiting for you in the living room.

- "Elizabeth, I think you shouldn't be exercising" your mom said concerned.

- "You're not a doctor mom" you replied.

- "You're right, I'm not a doctor. I'm your mother and I see how fragile and tired you are" she said.

- "I'm going to shower, I'm all sweaty" you said walking towards the stairs.

- "I'm taking you tomorrow morning to the hospital to get all the tests the doctors from the center asked for".

- "Okay. They're going to say I'm just fine, anyways". You said and ran upstairs.

That night Taylor texted sending you some rehearsal videos of her and her crew. You watched them and reacted with some in love emojis. She asked if you wanted to facetime, but you politely declined and went to sleep.

The next morning you woke up, showered, got dressed and went downstairs to find your mom already waiting for you.

- "So, you need to fast for the blood work you're about to get done. However, you know that you MUST eat breakfast. Do you want me to prep something, take it there and give it to you when we are done with the blood tests and while wait for the bone density scan and the ECG? Or would you like to grab breakfast outside?" she asked with a straight look.

You felt the anxiety rising. Your hands were shaking just with the thought of having to eat something different than usual for breakfast. But you were also so mad and annoyed, since when did your mom became so strict around food and exercise?

- "I'd like to have my usual breakfast, please."

- "Alright, then I'll make it for you and then we're leaving."

Ten minutes later you were already in the car bouncing your leg. Your mom tried to gently touch it to calm you down, you stopped for a minute, but then went back to bounce it. You got the hospital, checked in, and after 15 minutes you were called to a small cubicle in which a young nurse had trouble finding a good vein to take blood out from. The nurse opted for calling her boss to take out blood from you, the older nursed struggled a bit too, but after a couple minutes was able to do it.

- "That was though, young lady" she said.

You went back to the car and had your usual yogurt with fruit with your mother watching every bite you took. After that, you had the ECG and the bone density scan done. At 7:30 your mom dropped you off at school. You were late again and started to worry about what would people say about it, because you've never been late to school before. You were always on time, you were never absent, you were the perfect student.