It Was All Me

AN: In this imagine Reader is the younger sister of Chris Redfield, so we essentially are Claire!

------------------------------------------------

Moving to Raccoon City was both exhilarating and nerve-wracking, despite finally being closer to my older brother Chris, I still felt like a fish out of water. Everything was new and the city buzzed with energy, which was a contrast to the sleepy town where I'd spent the last few years studying for my degree. I didn't know anyone yet I was still willing to give this new adventure a try, maybe when things settled I'd begin to feel at home. However, during the final days of me arranging my move Chris called to let me know that his job at the S.T.A.R.S unit at the RPD was taking up more and more of his time, so he wouldn't be able to help me get acquainted with the city as much as we'd both wanted him to. It was fine, and I brushed it off with a smile since I knew he loved his job and it needed him, however it still made me feel even more alone. 

Until he suggested getting his friend Leon to help me. I was unsure about having a complete stranger suddenly barge into my life and replace what my brother had promised to do, but I really needed a tour guide and someone to help me, so I agreed. The first time I met this infamous Leon from Chris' work was a sunny afternoon, when I was carrying boxes upon boxes of things up and down the apartment stairs. I was sweaty and out of breath, until Leon popped up and scared the living daylights out of me. After joking about it he begun to give me a hand whilst we chatted, and thankfully his easy going and kind personality made things so much better. After we'd ordered lunch as I sat in my unpacked apartment, and we ate sandwiches on the floor whilst he told me about how he met my brother since they don't work in the same department. 

From that day we became good...somethings. I started my internship as a journalist at the Raccoon Times only a few days after settling in, and to my surprise at the end of my shift Leon was waiting outside the building for me. He admitted that Chris had asked him to come pick me up since he'd walked me here this morning, I still didn't know the city that well so I didn't mind the company whilst I was still learning the route. I expected Leon to stop picking me up from work after a few days, but the days turned into weeks quicker than I could keep up with. We always talked non-stop on our daily walks, telling each other about our days and achievements as well as catching up on the recent TV shows we'd both binge watch. I looked forward to the end of my work days just so I could see Leon, since we barely saw each other any other time. 

It was one evening that changed everything though. I'd texted Leon to say that I was staying late since there'd been a huge story I wanted to write and submit as soon as possible to my boss. Rain hammered the windows as I typed furiously, grinning from ear to ear since I knew this could be a headline story, then I emailed it to my boss. After packing up my things and expecting a cold, lonely walk home I was shocked to find Leon sitting in the lobby, waiting for me despite me being two hours later than usual. 

"Didn't you get my text?" I ask as he stands up, straightening out his shirt. Leon nods, then begins to talk to me about something Chris was doing at work as if things were perfectly normal. I didn't usually question Leon's daily presence, but surely he's got better things to be doing on a Thursday night than waiting on his best friends' little sister? We head out into the storm, both rushing down the streets as we shout over the thunder and heavy downfall. The bad weather didn't stop us from chatting as usual, but it did bring us closer as we leant nearer to each other to hear. 

By the time we reached my apartment we were both soaked to the skin, our clothes stuck to us and our teeth were chattering enough to make us laugh. I watch as Leon doubles over a little, arms crossed over his chest as he shivers. He looks like a puppy I just want to take care of. "Come inside and get warm for a bit." I say, grabbing his hand and tugging him inside of my home. Since months ago it'd been decorated and littered with trinkets and things I call my own, it was truly my safe space and Leon being here just made it so much more comfortable. I rush to the bathroom to grab two towels as Leon stands at the doorway dripping, his hair is plastered to his head in a handsome kind of way and his tee sticks to him, showing the edges and definitions of his body, it makes my heart flutter. 

I toss him a towel as I begin to dry off, peeling off layers until I stand there in my jeans and a vest. I notice Leon's eyes track my body before they flick away and he focuses on drying his hair. "You know you don't have to keep walking me home, I know the way now." I smile, giving him an out after all this time. Leon pauses, the towel stopping mid-air as he frowns in a confused kind of way. 

"I know, I don't mind." He murmurs, then resumes drying himself until I walk over and pull the towel from his hand. He reaches out for it but I shake my head, knowing he's using it as some kind of barrier from this conversation. I put a hand on my hip, tilting my head as I look up into his piercing blue eyes. A sudden boom of thunder interrupts my sentence as I open my mouth, so once it fades I try again. 

"Well in that case I'm sure it's well overdue for me to say thanks, I truly appreciate everything you've done for me since I moved here. " I smile, feeling warm at the way his lips turn up. "Though I didn't think you'd be the kind of person who'd let my brother boss you about for so long." 

Leon frowns, letting out a chuckle at something I don't understand. "You're right, I'm not. He asked me to keep an eye on you for the first couple of days, but after that it was all me." He confesses, but then his eyes widen as if regretting it. My lips part at his meaning, and how he generally wanted to spend time with me. I make a mental note to yell at Chris for being so care free with me, but then also add a side note to thank him for having confidence within me. At the moment though, I'm utterly surprised and a little touched. 

"But...why?" I ask, avoiding his eyes as Leon steps closer, lifting a hand but then dropping it. He shrugs up a single shoulder as he smiles wistfully at me.

"Because I like listening to you, and I enjoy hearing about your job and the things you like. I enjoy the routine and I can't imagine you walking with anyone else." He rambles quickly, then his breath shudders as he finally lifts his hand once more, then cups my cheek as my heart beats faster. I lick my lips, knowing that I have to be the one to make this final decision, so I do. I close the space between us as I wrap my hand around the back of Leon's neck and kiss him with all the yearning I've felt within the last few months. Leon kisses back with the same tenderness yet passion, until we're both breathless and smiling like high school crushes. All of a sudden my stomach grumbles, reminding me that I've missed my usual dinner time. Leon chuckles, kissing me once more before pulling away. 

"I'm making cup noodles, I don't suppose you're hungry since it's still raining outside?" I ask. Leon nods, and together we raid my cupboards for noodles and snacks before turning on the TV and watching the trashy reality show we've both been watching separately but have talked about everyday. I snuggle with Leon on my sofa as we eat and shout at the cast, we laugh and make fun of the challenges as the evening grows on, until eventually the storm outside fades away. When it gets late Leon helps me clean up before grabbing his jacket and lingering at the door. 

"Thank you for tonight, it's been fun." Leon murmurs as he brushes a strand of hair behind my ear. I grin, nodding at the simple act of affection. 

"Of course, and thank you, for everything." I reply, gazing up at the man who's become so much more than my brothers best friend. Our lips meet once more in a lingering kiss before Leon pulls back, creeping closer to the door. 

"You don't have to thank me, I just want to make sure that you're safe and happy." His eyes soften as he watches me blush, but then he adds "Would you like to see me at a different time, other than when I walk you home?" He asks, sounding hesitant yet hopeful. I laugh at the unexpectedness, but inside I'm giddy and excited. 

"Are you asking me out on a date, Leon?" I tease, swaying where I stand. 

Leon nods, looking more confident now. "Yeah, I suppose I am." 

I pretend to consider his offer for a moment even though we both know my answer, then I nod, adding a shrug for playfulness. "Well in that case, sure." I laugh. Leon rolls his eyes before reaching out and pulling me in for a quick hug, its seems like now we've crossed that line and touched each other we're unable to stop. I melt into his warmth, then pat his chest as I step back. 

"See you tomorrow Leon, same time as usual." 

"I'll be there Y/N." He promises.