Cross Road

[They stayed out of each other's business but sometimes business wanted them to work together...]

~

Elsa stomps out of the ballroom, well, more like power walked her way out. She huffed as she stood in the garden of the hotel where the party was held between people with voices in the development of clean energy. Everything started out find when Danny decided to antagonize one of the patrons. She didn't understand why he did that and it made people look at the strange. In the end, she hissed her request for him to stop before excusing herself to calm down.

When she took Danny to the party, she had expected a nice evening. She was dressed in an elegant blue dress that made her looked like she was part of a clear blue waterfall. Danny was dressed in a sharp black suit with his white hair combed back and his favorite shades on his face. They didn't look out of place and everyone was welcoming. However, Danny suddenly started asking strange question to this gentleman with his daughter. They both looked highly uncomfortable and Elsa had to step in before it escalated any further.

It was extremely embarrassing for her.

Would those people even support her in her endeavor and her projects after this?

"Elsa,"

Elsa drew in a deep breath before glaring at her partner for the evening, "What were you thinking? What possessed you to call him a creep and a predator?"

Danny sighed, "Elsa..."

She shook her head, "No. I want no excuses. I want an explanation. Now,"

Danny stared at her for moment before stepping closer, pulling her stiff form closer, "Let's go somewhere more secluded...please,"

Elsa followed him. After a moment, he stopped and she felt a tingle. He had just put up a shield around them. He looked at her and started, "I recognized him. He might be supporting you on your clean energy project but I knew that he was one of the patrons for GIW. I called him a creep because the girl he introduced as his daughter? She wasn't his daughter. I knew that he wasn't with child and there was no news of him adopting anyone. I was hoping to make him slip in public. I...I'm sorry. I lost sight of the reason we are here..."

Elsa stared at him before sighing, "Danny...sweetheart, if you...if you sense something wrong and that you feel the need to do something about it, inform me," She cupped his jaw, "I could have helped you instead of...running out and making you look like the bad guy!"

Danny held her hand, "Sorry...I'm not used to...asking for help. And I refused to have you involved in any manner so I-!"

She stopped him with a finger on his lips, "No. None of that. You promised that you will inform me when they started creeping up on me. This can be considered to be such a thing. I certainly don't want their sort working with me or my family or on my project. God knows what they will do with it!" She sighed, "Now...what sort of help do you need from me?"

Danny stared at her, "I don't want the spotlight on you,"

She snorted, "Too bad, then! With what you did, the spotlight is already on me! What we can do is make it seems as if I'm the one to discover such a disgusting thing happening to the poor girl and that you were the one to unveil it for me," She smiled, "I'll be the good cop and you can be the bad cop. How about that?"

Danny grumbled in Ghost Speak for a moment before nodding, "Fine. You can help in the human way and I can be the bumbling idiot that unexpectedly be right on the money," He sighed, "Time to bring out my Jack Fenton's super-idiot-genius gene,"

"The what gene?"

They returned to the party and Elsa apologized to the party, playing up that Danny's an idiot but her lovable idiot. Acting as if he was an overgrown sweetheart fuck boy. It hurt her heart to treat him such but Danny was really working up the idiot part by asking the most nonsensical question to the waiter about shrimps of all things.

It took a lot of maneuver and many of Danny's idiotic moment to really pissed off the man they were targeting that he completely forgot about his 'daughter' and left her alone with Elsa. When Elsa managed to take her aside, the girl stared at her and Elsa asked, "Do you need help?"

The look of hope and disbelief was jarring to see as the girl spilled how she ended up with a man old enough to be her father. It seemed that he bought her in exchange of clearing her family's farm debt. She didn't know that he was the one who caused her father to be in debt and only learned of it by accident. She feared for her family's well being so she stayed silent. She also revealed that he wanted to copy some of Elsa's project as a front to run a different sort of project. She didn't know what it was but she didn't think that it would be anything good.

The problem came from the fact that the man was a well known philanthropist and revealing his real face would make Elsa a target of his ire. Unfortunately, they can't really speak much as the man found the girl and insisted on taking his dear daughter home. But Elsa did learn one very important thing; he was selling the girl's family's farm to the highest bidder.

That night, she shared the information with Danny who was quick to ran his information network. She paced in her room while he made call after call, worried about the girl with the man. Danny looked up after putting away his last call, "Elsa?"

Elsa looked at him, "I'm worried about her,"

Danny pulled her onto his lap and hugged her, "We'll save her, I promise,"

Elsa leaned against him, "Is this what you have to go through, Danny?"

Danny kissed her hair, "Just the tip," The tip of the giant submerged iceberg that was his secret life, "But you did good today. I could save her easier this way since you already made it known that you have an interest in the farmland he was selling. If you saved her family and their livelihood, it will be easier for her to cut him off since she will not feel the need to stay for them. You have no idea how important that part is,"

Elsa sighed, holding tight onto him. She was anxious and worried. She felt restless. Even with Danny distracting her all night, the moment her body settled for rest in his arms, her mind started racing. The next morning, she begged Agnarr to buy the farmland no matter the cost, explaining her reason to him. By the time she returned home, the farm fell under her family's name and she returned the deed back to the father of the family.

Danny returned to her at the end of the month, "The girl is safe back with her parents. The ghost watching her have been causing as much problem for him that he hardly have time to...indulge in her. I also learned that the farm was on a ley-line. It was a rather concentrated crossing for supernatural energy. But they couldn't figure out how to use so they decided that it was a dud and left it. It will take a long while for the farm to get back on its feet," He sat beside her, "As for the man...well, a few call here and there were enough to start stripping off his good guy mask. It turned out that his wealth wasn't clean and he ran over a few people through the years, buying off their businesses for cheap after strangling them dry. Needless to say, upon hearing the possibility of putting him behind bars, they jumped in on the chance," He sighed, "All's good that end's good,"

Elsa smiled, "And all this because you decided he's a pedophile?"

Danny grinned, "Hey...we make a good team,"

She sat on his lap, "You do realize that your persona of an idiotic but sweet frat boy is stuck?"

Danny realized that he will have to keep up the image and grimaced, "Fuck!"