Seventy Six

The human King reluctantly continued, thanking each of the families for joining them and informing them of the itinerary.

"Since Demon King Mazgannek wishes to spar, I have a suggestion." I heard Goro senior speak. His eyes were keenly set on me. I knew instinctively what was coming. "How about a sparring match between the best fighters from each kingdom?"

And there it was. 

"I agree!" my father immediately answered, almost too excited. "Three fighters from each kingdom should do."

I eyed him and gave a sigh as the others almost immediately agreed in unison.

"I will fight on behalf of our Kingdom." I heard the voice of the academy headmaster. The very man who had escorted me to the academy years ago. Ezekiel Wyverstone had aged the past few years since I had seen him. But I knew the man well enough to know his strength. 

"I will gladly fight as well." a large young man that I did not recognize stood as well.

All eyes expectantly turned to my father, Levi. "I will participate as well." he said, not hesitating.

One after the other fighters from each Kingdom stood. Out of all of them, only Illaron, the Orc Prince, and Goro the Beast Prince, stood up out of the royal families. Heiji immediately stood forward, confirming that he would fight.

"And your other two fighters?" the human King asked, frowning.

"I thought that was obvious!" My father said. "Of course, my darling and I will compete."

I stood, giving a slight bow to confirm this.

"Then the fighters have been confirmed. We will start in the morning. For now, please enjoy yourselves and the entertainment we have arranged for you."

The next day I dressed in leather pants and a loose-fitting shirt. The shoes I had on were meant for riding, but it was the only comfortable shoes I could use for fighting that I had here. Heiji borrowed the clothes from one of the Human King's teenage sons.

I tied my hair with a leather string, braiding it down my back as I stood while speaking with my mother. She looked me over for another moment before taking my arm.

"Walk with me to the carriage."

"Yes, mother."

"Tell me, child. Do you regret any of your decisions? Do you regret becoming our child?"

"Regret?" I smiled genuinely at her. "Why would I do that? I only truly became free when I entered the demon forest."

"At what cost?"

"None that I could not afford."

She smiled, shaking her head. "Even when I know you are human, I sometimes wonder where your strength comes from, child. It is unheard of."

"It's likely because she is nearing evolution." a voice suddenly interjected. 

We turned to find Ezekiel, Levi and the young man accompanied by a few others around them. Including Ora and Azrael, as well as the two princes.

"Evolution?" Goro asked, seeming interested as he eyed Ezekiel. "What do you mean? Humans don't evolve."

"Not in the normal sense, no. And it is rare. So rare that I am only speculating. It is said that there have been humans in the past that became so powerful that they evolved into a new creature entirely. There are even speculations that this is how the other races came into existence."

Goro gave a loud snort, not believing what he was hearing.

"Mere speculation makes for entertaining conversation." I smiled. "But I have to correct you there, Sir Ezekiel."