Twenty Seven

Macey

I had finished taking the bath that Na'hal's sister had drawn for me, putting on the more comfortable clothing I had sent Jin to get for me. However, when I stepped out, they stared at me again. The soot was now washed out of my hair, so they saw me with my red hair.

"Is there anything that could last longer than soot in my hair? They will be especially looking for a red headed woman. It would be easier if my hair stays black in the public eye."

"You present yourself as a man when you are a woman and you present your red hair as black. Are your eyes even really that color?" Na'hal's sister sarcastically asked.

I smirked, staring right back at her as I shifted my eyes to their draconian forms, the appearance unconditionally lizardous. I took it a step further, allowing my face to scale over and my horns to protrude from my head.

"Would you prefer I walk around showing off my scales and horns, then?"

"H-how are you..."

"Or should I present myself like this instead?" I asked as the scales turned to red fur and wolfish ears pushed from my hair this time, my thick red tail swept out. My eyes turned pitch black as I smiled a wolfish grin at her, my canines glistening in the sunlight entering the house through a small window.

I reverted to my humanoid form before walking towards the door.

"Where's the nearest restaurant?" I asked of Jin who was standing right behind me.

"I am not sure, master."

I pulled my hair back and tied it before putting on a cloth to cover my face again as the requested facial mask had not yet been finished. Taking it further I pulled my hair up and made sure to cover it with the hood attached to my cloak.

"I'll follow my nose, then." I said, taking a sniff for emphasis.

Jin, also now dressed in more modest garb than the dancer's clothes, followed closely behind as a well mannered slave would. I eyed him over my shoulder.

"Walk next to me, bear boy. I won't bite."

His face flushed, surprised by my words. It took me a moment to realise how intimate it sounded to his virgin, backwards ears.

"It's a figure of speech, Jin. It means you will not be punished if you were to walk next to me instead of several paces behind me. Besides, we are trying to be incognito here. You walking so far behind me will make me seem suspicious."

He gave me a stupified look before reluctantly stepping up beside me.

"If you act like an arrogant asshole, we will seem even less suspicious." I commented, seeing him timidly glancing about. Seeing him blush again I decided to change the topic. "Do you have a family, Jin?"

"I am but a slave, master."

I shook my head. "Even a slave has a mother and father."

"My parents belong to a master in the upper realms, master."

"Did you have siblings?"

"Two younger sisters, master."

"Where are they now?"

"Unfortunately the eldest met with an accident."

"And the youngest?"

"She was sold to a pleasure house on the second level of the isle, master."

"Do they serve food?"

"I... I suppose they do, master."

"Great! Lead the way."