fight

As I sat in the stands of the Bridgestone Arena, the roar of the crowd enveloped me, drowning out my thoughts. My eyes were fixed on the ice below, where my husband, Luke Evangelista, battled fiercely for the Nashville Predators. It was a thrilling game, but little did I know it would turn into a scene I never wanted our son, just two years old, to witness.

"Mama, what's happening?" Toby's innocent voice pierced through the chaos of the arena, his small hand clutching mine tightly.

I struggled to find the right words, torn between shielding him from the violence unfolding before us and explaining what was happening. "It's okay, sweetheart," I murmured, trying to keep my voice steady. "Dada is just... playing hard, that's all."

But even as I spoke the words, I knew they rang hollow. How could I explain to our son that his father was in the midst of a fight on the ice, surrounded by shouting fans and flashing lights?

As the game ended and we made our way home, my mind was a whirlwind of conflicting emotions. Anger simmered beneath the surface, mingled with a deep sense of disappointment and concern for our son's impressionable young mind.

After tucking our son into bed, I confronted Luke in the quiet of our living room. "Why would you do that in front of him?" I demanded, my voice trembling with emotion.

Luke sighed heavily, running a hand through his tousled hair. "I didn't mean for it to happen," he admitted, his gaze fixed on the floor. "Things just got out of hand out there."

"But he saw everything," I insisted, my frustration boiling over. "He's only two years old, Luke. He shouldn't have to witness that kind of violence."

Guilt flickered across Luke's face, his shoulders slumping in defeat. "I know, and I'm sorry," he murmured, his voice barely above a whisper. "I'll do better, I promise."

As I looked into his eyes, I saw the sincerity in his words, and my anger began subside 

"We both need to do better," I replied softly, reaching out to take his hand in mine. "For him."

In the days that followed, Luke and I had many discussions about the impact of his actions on our family. He made a concerted effort to channel his passion into more positive outlets, both on and off the ice.