Chapter 8- Rivals

*Request*

I hate Adeline so fucking much.

The one chance I have to finally win a competition, and she has to be part of it too? This is an absolute joke.

We've been competing against eachother in gymnastics for ages, it seems like whenever one of us gets into a competition, the other one does as well. And what's even worse is that this is the biggest competition I've been in, and I really want to win. But with her here, I don't know whether I can.

"Right Amara, I think they're almost ready for you. You alright?" My coach asks me.

"I think I'm okay, just nervous."

"Don't overthink it, just remember everything we've practiced and give it your all." She tells me, a warm smile on her face.

I walk out of the changing rooms, sitting down on a bench at the back of the gymnasium. Shortly after me, Adeline also walks out and comes over to sit beside me as we wait for the competition to start. It's awkward that we're the only two performing, I'd definitely prefer if there were more people here.

"Nervous?" Adeline smirks.

"You wish."

"Hm, that sounds convincing. I wonder if that'll change when you stand up in front of all of these people, straight after I win this whole thing." She tells me.

I try my hardest to ignore her, rolling my eyes and turning away. My eyes land on the abundance of people in this room, and I fidget with my fingers anxiously.

-----

It's been about half an hour since we both completed our gymnastics routines, and I have to say, I think I've done quite well. We both walk back into the hall so that the judge can announce who won the competition.

There's been so many stages in this whole thing, it started around a year ago and it's taken this long just to make it here. I want to win, I feel like I deserve it more than she does. But at the same time, I'm proud of myself for getting this far and if she wins, I know it's not the end of the world.

"Can I have your attention please?" One of the judges says, standing up as everybody in the gymnasium quiets down.

"This was an incredibly hard decision for us to make as you both have done really well throughout this whole competition. However, we have decided on the person who not only had made incredible progress, but has done exceptionally well throughout each stage of this competition."

My heart thumps and I look over at Adeline, who's fiddling with her fingers as the judge talks. I can tell that she's just as nervous as I am.

"We are pleased to announce that the winner of this competition is Amara Kelly!"

I stand up, almost bursting into tears as everybody starts clapping. I can't believe it, I definitely wouldn't have ever thought that I would've won this. I can't even begin to express how happy I am.

Adeline starts to slowly clap, and I can't help but feel slightly bad for her since she looks quite upset. But I don't want to ruin the moment by thinking about her, I want to just celebrate with my friends and keep her off my mind.

-----

As I walk out of the bar, waving goodbye to my friends, I notice that the one person I wasn't expecting to be here is standing right in front of me.

After the competition ended, me and my friends went out to get a drink and celebrate. I don't know what Adeline was doing in that time since I wasn't really thinking about her, but now she's here, right in front of me.