Chapter 14- Best Friend

*Request*

I run downstairs to answer the door, quickly tying my hair up into a ponytail so that it doesn't look like I've just rolled out of bed.

Opening the door slowly, my eyes widen as I see my best friend Kate standing there with puffy eyes, her lip trembling as she tries to speak.

"Oh, sweetheart. What happened?" I ask her, pulling her into my arms and rubbing her back softly.

"S-She cheated on me.." Kate whispers in a wobbly voice, resting her head on my shoulder.

"I'm so sorry, my love. Come here."

I let her into my house, shutting the door behind us before pulling her into another hug. My heart breaks for her, Kate has always been so loyal and kind towards her girlfriend, she really liked her. And although I wasn't personally too fond of her myself, I was happy because it made Kate happy.

"Do you want to sit down and talk for a bit?" I ask her softly, and she gives me a small nod.

Kate takes her shoes off before heading into the living room and I quickly go into the kitchen to grab her a glass of water. I place it on the coffee table when I walk back into the room, sitting down next to her on the sofa.

"What happened?" I ask, taking her hand softly.

"She went out last night and didn't bother coming back until late." Kate explains slowly, "But when she did come back, I noticed that she had a bunch of lipstick marks and bruises on her neck and stuff."

I nod slowly, giving her time to have a sip of water before she continues to speak.

"I asked her about it and she came clean, she told me that she's been hooking up with somebody for two months now but she didn't have the heart to tell me. I broke up with her last night but because it was late, I couldn't text, so I just thought I'd speak to you this morning."

"I'm so so incredibly sorry, love, I can't imagine how much that must've hurt." I say softly, my fingers slowly rubbing over her hand.

"Let me just say that she doesn't deserve you in any way, and you don't deserve to be treated like that. You're so much better than she is, you're kind and beautiful and funny and honestly the most amazing person I've ever met."

"Thank you." She smiles, wiping away her tears as I pull her into another hug.

"Of course, sweetheart. Do you want to spend the day here with me and just relax? You can go back home later if you'd like to but you can stay here for as long as you want." I ask her.

"That would be nice. Thank you." She whispers.

"It's no problem at all, my love."

-----

I'm laying in bed with Kate, my fingers running through her hair gently as we both watch TV together.

She went back to hers quickly last night to grab some stuff, since I told her that I wouldn't mind if she stayed with me with a little while. I felt bad knowing that she would have to go back to that bitch every single night, so it's better for her if she just stays with me.

The one thing that's been on my mind is whether or not I should tell her that I like her. I have done for ages, but I feel like she wouldn't feel the same because we've been best friends ever since we were young. I know that this isn't the right time to tell her anyway, she's dealing with a lot and I don't want to add to her plate.

"Can I tell you something?" Kate asks softly, looking up at me as she rests in my arms.

"Of course you can, love. What's up?" I ask, pausing the TV.