I'm Free

July 1991

Maggie exhaled deeply. Here she was back in Burnage. It was pissing down. Had been since she came "home" a week ago. Her lease was up and making it in London hadn't been as easy as she'd thought it would be. She knew opportunities wouldn't come easily. That finding a job in her industry wasn't a guarantee. But there had been nothing. She'd watched her flatmates find work. Get commissioned. And she'd be lying if she said it didn't hurt. A failure. Washed up and back in this shithole at only 21. What she hated the most was the sympathetic smiles from the neighbours. The hushed whispers of her parents explaining her reappearance. Hearing their quiet words. "Bless her. At least she gave it a go." "Maybe something will come up." "Better off back up here anyway." She swallowed the lump in her throat. The bitter pill of not meeting her own expectations.

She'd bumped into Peggy a few days ago and been asked in for an awkward yet cosy cup of tea. Her boys were doing well. All in work. Liam had a part time job and was trying to get a band off the ground. And Noel had been roadieing all over the world with Inspiral Carpets. She was proud of him. He'd gotten out. She thought of him often. He left the bittersweet taste of burnt sugar in her mouth.

Noel had written her over the years. And she'd written back until things had started to go wrong for her. She didn't want him to know she'd fucked it all up. He'd had so much faith in her. He'd said she was special...to good for this place...was she fuck. She couldn't face him. Couldn't face up to the truth. She was nothing.

"He still thinks on you." Peggy said quietly.

Maggie flushed and Peggy smiled.

"I daresay you both do."

Maggie knew Noel would never mention they were no longer in contact. He was an incredibly private person about concerns of the heart.

Maggie readjusted her hood as she stood outside the shop in the kissing rain. She'd forgotten how grim and grey it was here. She hiked the toddler up higher on her hip. She glanced down at the sleeping cherubic face. Golden little curls and dark lashes.

"Ay you've been busy down in London I see! Didn't know you were back."

Maggie pushed her hood back and her eyes widened. Liam Gallagher. He'd grown up. He'd be 19 now. He'd grown his hair out and Maggie had to admit he looked good. She had assumed Peggy would have told him she'd returned.

"Fuck off! She's not mine. She's Kelly's. Pretty little things isn't she...looks like you a bit." She teased.

Liam looked panicked and Maggie laughed.

"She ain't yours. Actually sort of wish she were. You'd probably be a better dad than one she's got." She admitted sadly.

Liam gave a relieved exhale.

"Don't fucking joke about that! Nearly gave me a heart attack." Liam gave her a look of understanding and gazed at the sleeping kid in her arms. He knew what it was like to have a shit dad.

"So how long you back for?" Asked Liam.

Maggie felt ger guts twist sickeningly.

"Not sure. Things in London...didn't really work out."

Liam nodded as he lit up a cigarette. He blew the smoke away from the kid.

"You busy tonight? My band's playing tonight. You should come. Kelly too."

Maggie's eyes widened.

"Um...alright. Cool."

Liam smiled at her.

"Like the new look by the way. Suits ye."

Maggie smiled. She'd matured her gothic look slightly. She still retained her red lips and winged eye make up but she'd let her hair return to it's natural blonde. Cut it into the fashionable Blunt Bob that the 90's seemed to have brought in.