Chapter Twenty- Broken Glass

for future reference, there is a mention of Sam in this chapter. For those who don't remember who he is, Sam is one of the elders/part of the wolf council. He helped Riley get in contact with his wolf. ok, carry on

He held a look of determination in his eyes.

Chapter Twenty- Broken Glass

Riley's POV

My hands were covered in a thick, red substance. I looked around, noticing the bleeding bodies that covered the floor. That was when I realized my hands were covered in blood.

Scared, I tried to wipe off the blood on my pants but they were already drenched in the red liquid. The only thought that crossed my mind was that maybe I was the one that murdered these people.

I had harmed many before but these people were different. I held no hate for them. I didn't even recognize these cold, pale faces that stared at me with lifeless eyes. I bent down, closing the eyes of a man with my two fingers.

But I noticed that my hands were shaking, uncontrollably. And a small sentence swam through my mind, "Congratulations, Riley."

I glanced behind me, my jaw shaking from the familiar voice. His purple eyes flashed in my head as guilt and shame caused my stomach to tighten from the need to throw up.

But I tightened my jaw, not allowing myself to release anything. My canines rubbed against my bottom lip, prying my mouth open and allowing a large amount of blood to flow out from between my lips. The taste reminded me of a woman I had once killed. One that had such fiery, red hair.

There was wheezing behind me and I turned to look at Adam as he crawled on the floor, blood flowing from his wounded neck and blood shot eyes. "Congratulations," was all he said before his head dropped to the floor and he laid lifeless.

My hand went to my mouth as I crawled backwards, not wanting to see my dead mate anymore. But I couldn't erase how he had looked at me. Even though I had aimed to kill him and I allowed him to die, he still looked at me with love, admiration, and guilt. "Congratulations, Riley."

I sat up straight, a thick layer of sweat on my skin. My eyes darted around the room, searching the darkness for someone, something. "Riley?" Danny called as he sat up as well, his eyes half closed.

"Go back to sleep. I'm fine," I stated, not bothering to really look at him as I wiped my forehead with the back of my hand.

"Did you have a bad dream?" he yawned, his hand reaching out to turn the lamp on. When I didn't respond he asked, "Was it about Adam?"

"Don't say his name," I snapped. But he only nodded, his hands running up and down my arms in attempt to calm me down. "I'm sorry."

"This is normal, Riley. Your mate just- died." But an odd chill ran down my spine and I turned my face away.

"He's not dead." Removing myself from his touch, I got up, making my way to the small bathroom that was connected to the room. I made sure the water was as cold as it could be before splashing it on my face, hoping it would wake me up and make me realize that it was just a bad dream.

"Of course, he is," Danny said from the bed, his voice strangled a little bit. But I barely noticed, my attention now on my reflection. My eyes were blazing red as my sweat kept my hair pressed against my forehead. But I mostly focused on the two bite marks that sat on my shoulders. Both looked normal, like always, like nothing had ever happened.

"Come back to bed," Danny whispered as he came into the bathroom, his hand touching my tense arm. I looked down at him, admiring and hating his two different colored eyes. My thumb lightly traced below his red eye, hating myself for allowing Adam to have any effect on Danny. Danny placed his hand over mine before kissing my wrist.