Chapter Ten- Where is Ryder?

ok so there is a mention of Anna in here. She was Ryder's girlfriend in the first book and for those who haven't seen the update, I did add the scene where Ryder breaks up with her. I just totally forgot to add that when I was writing the first book but yeah, okay, enjoy

 She glanced over her shoulder, her smile a jewel upon her face.

Chapter Ten- Where is Ryder?

Noah's POV

"Have you seen Ryder?" I asked Mitch as he was walking back towards the house since our graveyard was right outside. With scrunched eyebrows, he shook his head. It was the end of the funeral and there has been no sight of Ryder anywhere. I was worried that maybe he had run away and become lost. But I decided to ignore the issue and just wait for him to return, hopefully he returns.

I was walking back to the house when there was a sudden mass of yells from behind me. I turned around quick enough to see Danny slowly loss his balance and fall into Ronnie's arms. "Danny? Danny?" Ronnie called as he slowly lowered him to the ground.

I wasn't surprised that Danny had passed out. He's been doing that alot lately- mostly from the horrible amount of pain that erupted from his shoulder. I ran to him, replacing Ronnie's spot as I cradled Danny's head in my arms. "Hey, buddy," I said in a rather low voice so that he was the only one that could hear me.

"My shoulder hurts," he whispered before his eyelids drifted closed, his head relaxing and falling to the side.

"I know." I pulled back the collar of his shirt and noticed a slight redness on his shoulder but other than that, his bite mark looked fine. But it made me wonder about Riley and if he was going through the same things. Or was Danny the only one experiencing this much pain?

"I'll take him," Donna, one of our nurses, said when she approached me, her arms held out and ready to take Danny away. I allowed her to remove him from my arms and I was left alone, mate less and friendless.

"Is there anything I can do for you, Alpha?" Ronnie asked, his standing shadow blocking the sun's rays from touching my cold skin.

"Tell Hunte-" But I had to stop myself because Hunter was no longer with us. After swallowing my tears, I said, "Get a search team ready. We're going to look for Ryder."

/ / / / / / /

"Noah?" Danny's weak voice broke the continuing silence. I was quick to his side, glad that he was awake and breathing.

"I'm right here, Danny," I said, my fingers combing through his bangs. He looked young, then. His eyes half way closed and his hair sticking out in random directions. You could tell from his tired eyes that he had been through alot lately and I wished that there was something I could do to help. I wanted to do more for him than just watching him suffer. But there wasn't much I could do. His mate was the only thing that could stop this but I was not his mate.

His mate. Riley. Words could not describe how much I missed Riley. Not only was he my best friend but he was my only friend when I was younger. I had always been the loner since before I could remember and out of nowhere, the most popular guy in my grade decided to be my friend, and eventually, my best friend. He was crazy for wanting to be friends with me but if it weren't for him, I wouldn't be where I am now.

I loved that bastard but he was more trouble than I imagined. He gave himself up to the enemy in order to save his mate. Before I found my mate, I wouldn't have been to understand why Riley would do such a thing but I know now. I would do the same if I were in his shoes. I just wish that he would come back soon because I didn't know how long Danny was going to survive this. His skin was already losing its warmth.

I placed a light kiss on Danny's forehead before leaving the room. Ronnie was waiting for me outside the door, his arms behind his stiff back. "Are you ready, Alpha?" he asked. It was strange to see this care-free person trying to act respectful and responsible. Nodding, I allowed him to lead me outside where the rest of the search team was.

Most of them had already shifted and were waiting for me to lead the way. This was the first time that I was to lead the pack as the actual Alpha. It was absurd to imagine me, the white wolf, leading a group of dominant wolves as if I was like my mate, the huge brown wolf. I was no where near being like Ryder, so how was I supposed to lead this group of wolves?

I called to Ryder through our mind link but like earlier, there was no response. It was like trying to message a person but your phone kept replying with a "This number is no longer available" message. Without the ability to track him via mind, I turned to my other and last option- to track him via smell. I sniffed the air, searching for that fresh, dominant scent that my mate always seemed to carry. My nose picked up the scent almost immediately and I shifted right afterwards.

It had been awhile since I had been in this form. It was all still new to me- the feel of crunching grass beneath my paws, the wind brushing through my fur, and the massive amount of strength my muscles held.

Latching onto the scent of my mate, I took off into the woods, my eyes focused on the invisible trail in front of me.

I could have gone by myself to find Ryder but since I was the Alpha, I need some sort of escort, especially since I'm the less dominant in our relationship. It was still incredibly irritating that I needed a babysitter as if I couldn't protect myself.

When Ryder's trail had ended, I skid to a stop, surprised at the place that I had found. It was crazy. Ryder couldn't possibly be here. Why would he be here?

Ryder's POV

"Do you want something to drink?" she asked, her blonde hair cascading down her back. It was longer than I last remembered. She had grown alot and it hurt to remember how much I had hurt her in the past.

I didn't want to be here. I knew Noah wouldn't be pleased with me if he found me here but I had no choice. She practically forced me here.

"No, I'm okay. Thank you, Anna," I replied. She glanced over her shoulder, her smile a jewel upon her face.