Chapter Twenty Six- The Daggers

next chapter is the last chapter btw

  A tear slid down my cheek as blood fell from my lips.  

Chapter Twenty Six- The Daggers

Riley's POV

I told Danny my plan later that night, ignored his protests about how dangerous it was, and left the house. I knew he was relieved that I had finally come up with a plan to save him but he hated the fact that I would risk my life to do so. But I knew what had to be done.

Sam and I had decided to lure Adam out of his house, away from his castle and his peers. I had texted Adam, saying how I needed to talk to him about our future plans as kings. As you would think, he was beyond excited that I was willing to meet up with him and continue my reign as the demon king's mate. 

We decided to meet at the same park that Danny had discovered his powers. It was night already and if I were human, it would be almost impossible to navigate through the dark. I made it to the park, by myself, my fists clenching and unclenching in anticipation. 

I wanted to end this. I needed to end it. But that didn't stop the fear from building up. 

I stopped to sit down on a bench under a light post, a orangish light illuminating where I sat. I waited patiently for Adam, my feet tapping against the ground, creating a soft beat until I heard the sound of Adam's shoes tapping against the concrete.

I glanced up and saw Adam's figure as he walked in the dark, a soft whistle coming from his lips until he stepped into the light and I was able to see the features of his face. 

My phone buzzed at the exact moment and I shoveled through my pocket to grab it. It was a text message from Sam saying how they needed more time to make the dagger. My heart sped up as I realized that the poison wasn't ready and I had to stall for more time. 

Adam approached the bench, his whistling stopping as he noticed my scared face. "It's just me, Riley. Don't be scared," Adam stated with a charming smile before he took a seat next to me. He was dressed elegantly in a black suit that fit him well. 

I wiped my sweaty hands on my pants as I tried to calm my heart beat. I knew he could hear it. 

I had already agreed to meeting with Adam without the dagger so Sam could have more time. Now he needed more time and I was starting to doubt our plan all together.

"Why do you wish to continue your reign?" he asked, his arm draped over the back of the bench as he stared off into the darkness, his eyes emotionless. "And why are you so scared?" He turned to look at me this time. 

"I'm not scared," I replied, not bothering to look him in the eyes. He placed his hand over my heart, his eyes looking up to meet mine. 

"Your heart tells me other wise." I froze, hating how much affect he had on me. I pushed his hand away and exhaled deeply. "Why are you really here, Riley?"

"I want to rule by your side." I checked my phone, hoping that Sam would text me that everything was ready but there were no texts or missed calls. 

"And what about your little sick Danny?"

"He didn't do anything, Adam. Leave him alone."

"No, he didn't do anything but you did. My sister's body was killed because of you. Now your mate will experience the same thing." I snapped, my hand reaching for his throat and squeezing. My wolf wanted to end him right then and there, using my own claws to slash through his throat and end this whole nightmare. But Adam placed his hand on my wrist, not even disturbed by the fact that I was trying to kill him. 

"Is this how you plan to kill me? Suffocate me and then wait until I reform my body and return?" He paused, looking at me with a questioning countenance but continuing when I did not respond. "No, you're smarter than that, Riley. How do you really plan to kill me?"

"Maybe I'll rip your head off and see if that works." I tightened my grip but he still remained unfazed. His grip on my wrist tightened as well. My claws began to draw blood, the dark, rich substance staining his pale skin. 

"Do it then. If it really brings you pleasure and if you really think that will end your problems, do it." We stared intensely at one another, both of our grips tightening on one another's body parts. My phone buzzed in my pocket but I didn't have to answer it because I could hear Sam's voice in my head. 

"Oh trust me, it will bring me pleasure," I replied with a devious smile before I lifted my hand, catching the knife that was soaring through the air. Adam's eyes widened and he almost vanished but for once, I was too quick for him and I plunged the poisonous dagger into his chest.

He sat there with a scared expression on his face, his hands gripping the dagger in his chest. But right when I thought it was over, he began to laugh. The laugh sent chills down my back and caused goosebumps to rise on my skin. Blood fell from the corner of his mouth as he continued to laugh, his eyes turning a fiery red. "It will never be over," he laughed before he slowly transformed into another being- his sister. "I would do anything for my brother and he the same. Don't forget that, Riley."

She closed her eyes, a smile still engraved on her face before her body dissolved into a pile of gray dust and the dagger fell to the cold ground. I could hear my heart beat in my ears this time and when I went to run away, I felt a cold hand on the back of my neck. Adam. 

"You tried to kill me," he stated and I gulped loudly before nodding my head, not able to form any words. My plan had completely back fired. "But instead you killed my sister, who I loved dearly." His voice cracked slightly and I could tell that he was crying. "You will pay, Riley Starck. Because if I die, you're coming with me."

And with that, he used his claws to strike me in the back. I gasped, my body jerking backwards as he slowly pressed his nails into my spine, digging into my skin and puncturing my insides. I could feel the tips of his nails scratching my bones. 

His other hand wrapped around my neck, sinking into my skin and ripping through it until I had four deep cuts on my throat. 

I wanted to scream, I wanted to run but I was struck motionless. I immediately thought of Danny, wishing I could hold him one last time and tell him how much I loved him. But I wanted him to know that I was dying for him, that I would do anything it took to keep him safe, even if that meant my death. I owed him my life for everything he had done for me. 

A tear slid down my cheek as blood fell from my lips and my neck. I wanted Danny to remember all the times we shared together and all of the times we didn't. I titled my hand upward, ignoring the surging pain in my back and howled to the stars, hoping that Danny could hear my call and know that I loved him endlessly. 

But there was suddenly a voice behind me, besides Adam. "You didn't honestly think I wouldn't bring two daggers, did you?" Sam asked before I heard the sound of knife cutting flesh and Adam's hand was removed from my back. 

I fell forward, my lungs straining to breath but I used my remaining strength to look behind me. Adam cried out as he held his handless arm and only seconds later, Sam was driving a small knife through Adam's chest. 

Adam fell to his knees, his hand covering his blood wound but he kept his eyes focused on me. "Until we meet again, Riley," he whispered. He held his shaking hand out towards me and closed his eyes. There was a strange pull on my heart, the skin around my mate bite burning before he fell to the ground and vanished, not a trace of dust or blood anywhere. 

Sam rushed forward and held my head in his hands. "Stay with me, Riley. We got to get you home." I exhaled slowly but I was too tired to stay awake. Sam threw my arm over his shoulder and pulled me to my feet but my head was too light and I felt myself falling in and out of consciousness. 

I could already feel the skin in my neck and back pulling together but the blood loss was still too much and before I could stop it, I passed out.