The Forth of Edd

By-Peach Creek

Summary: It's the fourth of July, and Kevin has a little surprise planned for Edd. Too bad he doesn't know about Edd's secret fear of fireworks.
***************************
"Sockhead, get a move on! We're gonna miss all the good stuff!"

Edd trailed behind his friend, staggering under the weight of the lawn chairs and cooler Eddy had thrust at him when they left the cul-de-sac. He silently cursed Sarah for making Ed her pack mule and thus preventing him from being Eddy'spack mule. He was not built for this kind of distance carrying, but Eddy forged ahead nonetheless. Weaving through the crowd in downtown Peach Creek, Edd spent more time apologizing for bumping into people than watching where he was going, and it wasn't long before he realized that he had lost sight of Eddy. He stared around for a few moments, searching the crowd before letting out a sigh. It didn't matter anyway. The Ed's always watched the fireworks from the same parking garage roof, year after year. He would just meet Eddy there.

Stepping carefully off of the curb to cross the street, Edd was suddenly grabbed from behind in a hug. He gasped, scrambling to keep his hold on the cooler before it spilled. The arms wasted no time in scooping him up, lawn chairs and all, and carrying him across the street. At first he thought it must be Ed, but these arms were bare and lacking a trademark (and smelly) jacket. When he could, he maneuvered the cooler into a position that would allow him to look back at his captor.

"Oh! Greetings, Nathan!" he said brightly.

"Hey, sweetcheeks," Nat said with a wink. "Where're you headed? Maybe I can give you a lift." He waggled his eyebrows, an exaggerated and suggestive motion that had Edd laughing.

"I'm supposed to meet Ed and Eddy at the parking garage on 7th. I really don't mind walking, however. You needn't trouble yourself."

"Nonsense," Nat replied. "It's not trouble, and you looked like you were going to fall over under the weight of this shit. Where's Ed, anyway? Shouldn't he be carrying this stuff with his super strength or something?"

"Ah, yes, under normal circumstances he would. However, Sarah roped him into carrying her things, and you know he can't say no to Sarah."

Nat nodded understandingly. The pair chatted amiably as they made their way to the parking garage. At the entrance, Nat gently set Edd down and saluted before disappearing into the crowd. Eddy pushed off from the wall and stomped over.

"Where the hell were you?" he demanded. He took the cooler in one hand and the front of Edd's shirt in the other. Edd barely managed to grab the lawn chairs before Eddy was pulling him up the stairs.

"I lost sight of you, and then Nathan found me and assisted me. Have you seen Ed yet?"

"Nah. He texted me to tell me that he'll be up later. Sarah's making him buy her food and shit."

At the top of the stairs Eddy released Edd's shirt and they set up the lawn chairs on the far edge of the lot. Settling down in one of the chairs, Eddy grabbed a soda from the cooler and cracked it open. Edd offered to go get some snacks, but Eddy waved him off.

"Let Ed get them. You know he'll bring a bunch of stuff when he comes."

Edd nodded and took a seat. He pulled his messenger bag over his head and opened it to make sure he had everything he needed. Camera? Check. Bug spray? Check. Water bottle? Check. And finally, his ear plugs. He squished the soft buds between his fingers and sighed. To think that he, of all people, would be afraid of something so illogical as the noise of fireworks...it was enough to tint his cheeks with embarrassment just thinking about it. Oh, well. Nothing to be done about it, he thought. He was just glad that his friends hadn't made a big deal out of it.