Boundaries

By-ESTK

Summary: There is a reason why Kevin and Edd can't be together

(A/N): This pissed me off but also made me sad...
************************
"I wish you best of luck in your game today Kevin. Truly, I'm disheartened that I will not be able to attend it, but..."

"I got it dorko. You don't gotta' explain anything."

A small smile played along Double D's lips. Tonight was the last football game of the season, of Kevin's high school football career and Double D was missing it to study for a final. A final that both Kevin and Edd knew he would be able to pass without studying.

"However, I believe Eddy and Ed will be in the stands, selling popcorn and candies. There's no doubt in my mind that they'll cheer you on," Double D said, filling the silence.

"That makes me feel better," Kevin said with a roll of his eyes.

Edd giggled into his hand. How right he was. Edd already knew that Eddy was scheming to con the audience with overpriced snacks and beverages rather than support Kevin in his last game.

To tell Kevin otherwise when the both of them knew Eddy's greedy nature would be too far-gone of a lie.

Edd watched Kevin run his hands through his hair, feeling the pounds in his chest reverberate throughout his body. He so badly wanted to stay here and cheer his friend on and have some haphazardly scheming fun with Eddy and Ed in the stands, but he just couldn't.

To see Kevin go out with a bang was a luxury he could not afford, especially knowing that shewas going to be around. Seeing the two of them, her arms around his neck and his wrapped around her lithe body tore Double D to pieces in ways that he couldn't explain.

"Given the win/lose statistics of the opposing team and our school's team, you won't have much trouble defeating them. I expect to hear good news from you when the game's over," Edd said lightly.

"It'd be cool if you could watch it though, but I have to go. See you man," Kevin said giving Edd a pat on the arm.

Edd watched him jog across the field, towards his team.

It was funny how things changed in the past few years. The Ed's have met some common ground with Kevin some time ago, two years ago to be precise. What happened, Double D couldn't really remember, but he was so happy to have made a new friend outside the trio, it didn't really matter.

He just didn't expect any feelings to surface.

"Sockhead! Hurry up! The game's gonna start!"

"Double D! I'm dressed like a candy cane."

Edd's head snapped, seeing the familiar face of Eddy and Ed waving manically at him from the stands. With a smile, Edd approached them, standing at the foot of the side stands. He glanced them over, amused by their choice in uniform.

"Unfortunately, I will not partake in this event. I have matters to take care of at home." Edd nervously tugged his beanie, seeing realization dawn on Eddy's face.

"That's a load of crap Double D and you know it." Eddy paused. "Wait right there, I'll come right down. Come on you big lug."

Edd bit his lip, bracing himself for the talk that Eddy was about to give him. Over time, Eddy had grown to be greatly perceptive of Edd and his ways. And when Edd had decided to come out to his two friends, he didn't expect them to be so accepting.

"You're our friend Double D. We love you just the way you are," Ed said, engulfing the two in a big hug.

'Yeah, what lumpy said. I just wish you had more taste.'