Touches

By- princeyorangepeople

Summary: Kevin being a physical guy and Edd flipping out over it.
**********************
Edd wished he hadn't reacted the way he did.

When Kevin slid an arm around his waist while he tucked into his nutritious sandwich, he wish he had accepted the motion as simple, harmless and something that was very natural for Kevin. Instead, for reasons that still escaped him, he had choked in surprise and spluttered, 'Why do you feel the need to touch me every second?'

Kevin's face had fallen for a brief second, then flushed a hot shade of red while he masked his surprise and hurt with cool rage, as he always did.

'Fine. I won't touch you anymore.' Kevin snapped, shoving his hands into his jean pockets.

And that was that.

For the next few days, Kevin kept his hands to himself. It had been nice of Kevin to respect his boundaries, staying out of his personal space unless given explicit permission. It had been nice to be able to moderate the amount and type of touch he received from Kevin, Kevin's hands staying jammed in his pockets until Edd offered his own to be held. It had been nice.

In the beginning.

But four days into it and Edd found himself missing the spontaneous, unpredictable and intimate nature of Kevin's touch.

He missed the warmth of Kevin's fingertips as he drew them along his jawline. He missed the feel of Kevin's callouses against the tender skin of his wrist when Kevin led him down the hallways. He missed the way Kevin squeezed his thigh while smiling reassuringly, the way Kevin slipped his hand into his back pocket when they walked home from school, the way Kevin placed a hand on his hip while leaning in for a goodbye kiss.

All he had now was the hesitant shift of Kevin's jaw as he patted his shoulder awkwardly before they parted ways after lunch ended. The loose, limp handholding as they walked home from school paled in comparison to the way they used to bump their shoulders while walking arm in arm, and he even found himself missing the way Kevin used to squeeze his bottom in inappropriate situations just to hear him give an inelegant squawk of surprise.

Why, oh why, had he reacted the way he did?

Edd scampered out of class the moment the bell rang for lunch, placing his books in his locker and not even caring if they were in alphabetical order before he hurried off to look for Kevin.

Kevin was standing atop the bleachers, leaning casually against the railings as he gnawed at the hamburger he held in one hand. The moment he saw Edd approaching, he shoved his free hand deep into his pocket.

That shouldn't have hurt Edd as much as it did.

'Hey dork, what's up?' Kevin said by way of greeting as he wolfed down the remainder of his burger.

Edd couldn't find the voice to speak. He just caught Kevin's hand in his and tugged him along to the top row of seats. Kevin allowed himself to be led, sitting down as Edd wanted him too, an eyebrow raised questioningly. Edd stood before Kevin, suddenly nervous as he muttered, 'Kevin. I cannot stand this any longer.'

'What's wrong, babe?' Kevin asked, voice soft and concerned in a way that only Edd got to hear.

Edd sucked in another nervous gasp of air before climbing onto Kevin's lap and straddling him, knees clamped around Kevin's hips as he sat on Kevin's knees. 'I want you to touch me again.' he reached out, taking Kevin's hands in his and placing them on his hips. 'Please.' he added shyly, head lowered, teeth worrying furiously at his bottom lip.

For a moment, Kevin didn't move. Then his hands left Edd's hips and Edd panicked. Had he upset Kevin to the point that he no longer wished to touch him? Oh goodness, what had he done?

But Kevin was only reaching for the pack of wet wipes he took to keeping in his back pocket ever since he started dating the mysophobic Edd. He wiped off the greasy burger residue on his hand before crumpling the wet wipe and tossing it into a nearby bin. He then returned his hands to Edd's hips, slid them up over the minor dip of Edd's narrow waist before pulling his boyfriend in for a proper hug.

'Whatever you want, Double Dork.' he grunted gruffly as he buried his face against Edd's hair.

Edd could hear as much as feel Kevin's smile despite his flippant words, and a giddy sort of relief surged through him as he sunk into the familiar warmth of Kevin's body. He wrapped his skinny arms around Kevin's broad shoulders and sighed in contentment.

While it was entirely possible to have too much of a good thing, Edd now realised he had grossly miscalculated what constituted as 'too much' vis-à-vis Kevin's touch.

It was not a mistake he would make again.