Going back

"Every time I look into your eyes, I see a mystery waiting to be unraveled." - Nora"

I don't know for how long I lay on my bed, sobbing into my blanket. I missed my daddy dearly. He was the only one I talked to, and now, there was nobody I could confide in here except for Soap, but of course, he had his duties to attend to. I felt utterly alone.

A soft knock on my door interrupted my daze.

"Yes, who's there?" I asked, my voice muffled by tears.

"It's me. Ghost," came the reply from the other side.

My heart skipped a beat as I realized who was standing outside my door. Goosebumps prickled my skin at the thought.

"Come in," I said, after taking a moment to compose myself.

He opened the door slightly and stepped inside, his presence filling the room.

I observed his attire-a simple grey hoodie paired with black cargo pants, his balaclava adorned with a skull print. With his face partially revealed, his eyes stood out, captivating me even more. He looked surprisingly good in that attire.

As I stood up from the bed, he gestured for me to remain seated. His thick, husky voice resonated in the room.

I obeyed, settling back onto the bed as he pulled a chair beside me.

Feeling self-conscious in my short skirt, I draped the blanket over my lower half, seeking some semblance of comfort.

"You forgot your shoes," he remarked, placing my pair of heels on the floor.

I couldn't help but blush at the thought of him carrying my shoes all the way to my room.

"Thanks a lot," I murmured softly, my gratitude evident in my tone.

"Mention not," he replied, his voice equally subdued.

A moment of silence stretched between us, and I found myself gazing into his eyes. In that moment, he seemed surprisingly gentle, his usual demeanor softened.

"I read your file, Miss Nora Grace," he confessed, breaking the silence. "Capt Price showed me."

I was taken aback by the realization that he knew everything about me at this point.

"So, you came to know everything about me," I stated, feeling a mixture of curiosity and apprehension.

"Yes, to be precise," he confirmed.

"Ahan," I responded, unable to muster any other words in that moment.

"I am sorry about your father, Miss Nora. He was a great man," he offered sympathetically.

"Yes, he was," I replied, my voice trembling as tears threatened to spill over. A lone tear trickled down my cheek, betraying my attempt to remain composed.

He watched me closely, his gaze filled with understanding.

"I am sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you," he apologized, his tone gentle.

"It's fine. I'm fine," I reassured him, wiping away the stray tear. "It's just... I get panicked sometimes when I think about what happened."

"Hmm," he hummed in response, his acknowledgment hanging in the air.

Feeling a sense of formality settling between us, he spoke up, breaking the silence. "I am Lieutenant Simon Riley," he introduced himself.