Promise

"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies."
Aristotle

The chirping of birds and the warmth of the morning sun filtered through the curtains, gently waking me. I felt a hand softly brushing through my hair as I opened my eyes.

"Good morning, love," I heard him say, his voice a deep, comforting rumble.

He was sitting beside me, his fingers tenderly threading through my hair. A cup of hot tea was placed on the side table, steam curling up invitingly. I noticed he had already changed his clothes-he was wearing a black buttoned casual shirt and jeans.

What caught my attention most was his face, fully visible without the usual mask.

I sat up, blinking away the remnants of sleep. "Good morning," I replied, my voice still groggy. "Your mask." I pointed, curious about his choice.

"No need for it today," he said with a faint smile. "Nobody's coming. We're on our own."

"Soap said that you sleep with it," I chuckled, trying to lighten the mood.

He smiled, a rare sight. "Yes, but back there. Not here in front of you."

"Simon, when am I going to meet your family?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.

His expression shifted, a shadow passing over his face. "Unfortunately, never."

"What? Why?" I pressed, confused and concerned.

"They're all gone," he sighed, the weight of his words hanging in the air.

"Gone? Where?" I asked, my heart sinking.

"To heaven," he replied quietly.

A shock and a wave of grief pierced through me. Without thinking, I pulled him into a hug, cupping his face in my hands. "I'm so sorry," I whispered, feeling his pain as if it were my own. "You've lost everyone and you're still helping me through all this."

He didn't say anything, but the look in his eyes spoke volumes. He was a man who had endured unimaginable loss, yet he stood strong, protecting me. I realized then just how much he meant to me and how much I wanted to be there for him, just as he had been for me.

"Nora!" he said, looking into my eyes with a seriousness that made my heart skip a beat. "I need to talk to you."

"Yes, I'm listening," I replied, holding his gloved hands gently in mine, feeling the warmth through the fabric.

"You know, my job requires me to go to different places. We are deployed here and there every now and then. The missions are dangerous and life-threatening," he paused, his eyes searching mine for understanding.

"We can lose our lives anytime we're on a mission. Also, I can't keep any relationships during my job because relationships come with expectations, and I can't fulfill any expectations. I'm not in a position to," he said, his voice heavy with the weight of his words.

I tightened my grip on his hands, searching his eyes for any sign of hope. "But Simon, I don't need you to fulfill any expectations. I just need you," I whispered, my voice trembling.

His eyes softened for a moment before the steel returned. "Nora, it's not that simple. My work... it's a constant danger. I can't put you through that."

"You're not putting me through anything. I'm choosing to be here with you," I insisted, my resolve strengthening. "We'll figure it out together, no matter what."

He looked at me, a mixture of admiration and sorrow in his eyes. "You're braver than anyone I've ever known. But I don't want to be the reason you suffer."