Chapter 35 - Goldilocks

"—All right, have you made preparations yet, Syouji?"

"....."

"Syouji? Are you listening?"

"Hmm? Ah well... no. I kind of spaced out a bit."

The second day aboard the Fraxinus bridge, Syouji raised his head with an "ah" as Kotori yelled at him.

"Really.... be a bit more serious. You know who you'll be dealing with today, aren't you?"

"Guh... I'm sorry." Syouji hung his head down in embarassment as Kotori furrowed her eyebrows seeing him in such a state.

"Could it be.... your physique hasn't fully recovered yet?"

"Ah, it's not that. My body is perfectly fine. I think it's more of a mental thing."

Apparently, when Syouji said that, it caused her worry. In order to flourish his rejuvenated vitality, Syouji substantially flexed his arm with a reassuring smile.

"I'm fine, no need to worry. I just had a slightly strange dream. Or a vision."

"A vision? What was it like?"

"It was like a matter from the past. But I'm not sure if it actually happened or not."

"What does that mean?" Kotori showed a dumbfounded look to Syouji who shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, what's important is that I'm alright." Syouji said patting his chest.

Although Kotori did not seem convinced, she shrugged her shoulders at Syouji's vagueness.

"Forget it. You'll be up against Hoshimiya Mukuro. She's still a Spirit who doesn't have a sense of propriety yet. Even though her attitude's changed since you unsealed her heart, absolutely do not go ahead of yourself."

"Yeah, I know." Syouji said that before nodding earnestly.

After all, he had been pushed to the brink of death numerous times from the past, not only from Mukuro but also from the other Spirits as well as DEM's wizards.

That being said, what currently occupied Syouji's mind was not apprehension or dread, but sheer determination.

"I'll make her fall in love with me. Excelsior." Syouji muttered. 

Then taking a deep breath and tightening his resolve, Syouji gripped his hand into a fist, before making a small nod.

In response, Kotori, Kannazuki and other Fraxinus crew members consecutively nodded their head.

With this determination and the support which aided his resolution, all preparations were complete. Now was perfect opportunity to conquer a Spirit.

If any questions were remaining, there would be only one left.

"......Say, Kotori."

"What's wrong, Syouji?"

"Do we go to her, or will she come to us? If it's the latter then how do we find her?"

"......"

Syouji's words left Kotori speechless as her eyebrows wrinkled, bringing a lollipop into her mouth.

Well, that was to be expected. After Mukuro had drawn up an appointment with Syouji on the previous day, she immediately disappeared into the void, all destitute of a detailed time and place of meeting.

With the simple statement of "Let's go on a date tomorrow!" no whisper of news followed. Then, dismayed, Syouji stroked his forehead.

"What a pain..." Syouji uttered.