Death's Minion Approaches

"Fight?!" I said, suddenly panicking. "I can't fight! What am I even supposed to fight with-"

"Damn it!" She said angrily, taking me by my shirt and dragging me to the kitchen to take cover under the kit hen sink with her. The banging increased until suddenly, I saw the door flying past us.

"What the fu-"

I couldn't finish my words as suddenly screams began to flood my ears. I covered my ears with my hands as I began to try to keep the horrid voices out. I tried my best to press my hands into my head, but it was in vain. A pain began to build in my chest, and I slowly felt blood seep it's way down my ear and from no nostrils. I tried to keep my eyes open and saw the reaper look at me as if I was a nuisance. "You're weak for your size." She stated, disappointment dripping from the harsh words. She forced a razor sharp claw into my mouth and I winced as it cut up my cheeks. I began to pull away before I realized that the finger was causing my pain becomes disappear, almost as it were being absorbed.

Taking a deep breath, I was once again silenced by the reaper's hand covering my mouth. I looked at her like a confused kid and she looked at me as if she was debating whether or not to rip my face off.

"Didn't I tell you to be quiet?" She whispered furiously in a barely audible tone. I blinked twice and fought the urge to ask what her to repeat what she had just said before catching myself.

Why is she telling me to be quiet? I wondered, before remembered my outburst upon hearing that I was going to have to fight.

Was that why those screaming voices came at me?

My eyes softened upon realizing that I was the one at fault, and I looked down when I realized the symbols on my hands were glowing. I looked up at her for an explanation, but that's when I realized the gravity of the situation we were in. The sky this morning was as bright and as sunny as ever, especially when Shirley and Miles had left minutes before. Yet through the broken frame where the door had once been, the lighting in my home was filtered a dark purple. Looking around, I began to notice the mist forming that, if closely scrutinized, faces could be seen from within.

What in the purple ghost...

I bit my tongue to hold back a scream; and looked to my stranger companion for reassurance only to find that she was gone. Frantically looking around, I felt tears well up in my eyes when I felt her press a hand against my back, taking one of my hands within her's.

When she touched me, I felt myself become calmer; despite the fact that she still intimidated me. My heart beat slowed, my breathing became more relaxed and I made a gentle sigh of relief. "Don't panic." She hushed in my ear. "We both have to be calm if we want to survive this."

"What am I supposed to do?" I whispered unsurely. Just as the words left my mouth, large, chained, heavy footsteps were heard entering past my doorway.

Oh my gosh what the hell is-

"Listen to me very carefully Hero." She said from behind me. I winced upon hearing her suddenly say my name, not realizing she knew it. "I'll only say this once. The book chose you to be my partner. That means we're a team now." The heavy footsteps drew closer; and the previously suppressed screams of the death mist became louder. "Do you see the Roman numerals on your left hand? Those are twelve glowing numbers. Everytime you order me to do something, one of the lights will go out. You only get twelve a lifetime." I lifted my hand and saw the Roman numerals illuminate in golden glow light from within. It was fascinating, almost like when you press a flashlight on your finger. But the mist, screaming ghost mist, and closing foot steps drew my attention away.

"How are we supposed to fight that thing?" I asked nervously. "It sounds huge." She pushed my left hand away and picked up my right hand, where my large dragon like scar had also began to glow red, opposite to the glow of my left hand.

"Believe in me." She said softly in my ear. I felt my heart drop in my chest and I looked back at her face. Our faces close enough to touch, I watched her red eyes and round pupil's glare right back into mine. "Do you trust me?" She asked, watching me carefully in order to predict my response.

She scares me. But I have this weird feeling that she would never hurt me.

Is this Stockholm syndrome?

Ahh fuck it!! I'm going to go with my gut. She won't hurt me I think. The approaching enemy that weighs a ton on the other hand? Not so much.

If she can protect me...

I slowly nodded my head yes, not trusting myself to use words. She saw me nod yes, and her pupils shrunk before expanding into large vertical slits. She then looked at something standing right behind me. I felt breathing on my turned back, before realizing that those freakishly loud and heavy footsteps had stopped. Slowly, I turned around to see a hideous man wearing a skull mask. Or at least I hoped it was a mask.

He had two weapons in each hand, both reminding me of small scythes. He had black hair than went to his shoulders, and a scarf despite the fact that it was summer. And he smelled horrible. The stench he brought with him was enough to make me scrunch up my nose. A mistake. He raised one of his mini scythes to strike at me in a flash, and the reaper barely managed to move me back in time. I clenched my eyes shut, and when I opened them wide I found one of the scythe between my open legs, barely finding it's mark. The blade pierced my pants, but not me.

I peed myself.

Using her uncanny strength, she dragged my wet body away and stood in front of me defensivly. "Aglos." She called out, her voice suddenly deeper and filled with anger. The man looked up as if he was registering who she was the first time.

"You've awakened." A terrible husky voice replied. When he spoke, I could hear several more people speak with him and I felt myself shudder. She crossed her arms and glared at him as he stood indicisively.

"Why are you attacking a human?" She barked.

He greeted her with silence and she grew agitated. But also more suspicious. "Who sent you... Aglos?"

The death warrior known as Aglos crossed his weapons and roared. I hugged my head feeling thousands of people screaming into my ears and the pain returned to my chest. "I'll protect my master to the death." The reaper declared. She crossed her forearms and screamed my name.

"Hero!"

"Huh?" I said confused.

"Do you believe in me?" She screamed. The voices in my head became louder and louder but I barely managed to hear her. I gulped when I saw the dangerous brute approach her. "Hero!"

I looked at her, and saying the truth in my head made my pain subside a bit. "I do!" I yelled back. "Now go kick his ass!"

I felt a pang in my hand, and looked down to see the Roman numeral twelve go out. I scoffed in disbelief.

Seriously? But-

A immense roar caught off my thought process. Looking around, all ghost and mist had disappeared and only the man remained. The huge creature that was easily twice his size growled in front of him, and it was enough to make me feel faint once more.

"She's a... a dragon?!"