Linc Never Was

The blood red dragon opened its jaws once again, revealing several rows of sharp teeth. Except this wasn't a roar. As the Dragon's slightly curled neck spontaneously snapped straight, I realized a second too late that it was an attempt to bite me. I dodged to safety as quickly as I could, but the dragon titled his massive head ever so slightly, and one of his teeth sliced my thigh like a knife to butter.

Burning excruciating pain sprawled from the wound, and the sharp shock of it paralyzed me. I rolled onto my back; screaming at the antagonizing sensation that sprawled throughout my body from my left thigh. The dragon made rumbling noise from deep within its belly and I attempted to get up, only to stumble down as the dragon laughed at me. Laughing. This vast demon was laughing at me as it toyed with me as if I was food.

It was laughing at me as I fought to survive.

This fight had just started. I had just declared my determination to save Linc. But what would it mean if I just died here?

And then there's Linc's mind, which is practically trying to rip me out of here. Every few seconds black will flood my vision as if I was closing my eyes. It's getting worse as time progresses onwards. If I don't hurry, I'll return to my body. And if Linc is still like this dark abyss, if she's still here and if this dragon is still in control of her body...

Would there be anything left to return to?

I got up as quickly as I could, doing my best to ignore the pain of my left thigh. My eyes flickered to Linc, and I saw her sprawled out in pain. Blood ran down her forehead and I noticed a purple bruise from where I had grabbed her.

How could I do such a thing? How could I even think of hurting Linc? Linc! Her name is Nikai for god's sake! Nikai was the one who saved my life! Linc was the person who killed. Linc was the foolish name an ignorant child gave her. Linc was the recollected memories of a dark nightmare on which an innocent and terrified child was branded a heretic and abused because of who she was born to be. Linc never was. It was Nikai. Nikai was the name of the person who had saved me from myself. Nikai was the person who taught me to acknowledge my mistakes.

Nikai was the person that taught me to do something, and to stop victimizing myself. She taught me to survive. Together. And it because of this... That regardless of the complexity of malice and love that I feel towards her; I have a responsibility to protect her.

And I'll fufill that duty even if it kills me.

"Oh?" The dragon remarked after seeing my chest raise with determination. I narrowed my eyes and my mind began to race.

"Embrace the past, for it holds the key to the world's survival in the future."

Who was it that said that to me?

I sucked my breath and ran like hell to the right to barely avoid a heavy red claw slamming down on me. It was quick, and I was distracted. I had just barely gotten out of the way. I looked down at my side and took my hand away from my inflamed wound. Blood. Sticky and hot. It wasn't going away. This pain would stick with me, and it'll make winning even harder. I'm close, but now what? I won't be able to defeat the dragon without any weapons. I need something I can kill it with before I lose too much blood!

It was a flash. The moment I realized how desperately I needed a weapon, a part of my memories returned themselves to me, fillimg themselves into my original memories as if they were puzzle pieces. My beloved sister Danny impaled me. I did die. Nikai self destructed. And white. People. The neatly fitted missing parts made me flinched, and being startled came at a cost. I rolled, but not fast enough. His scales rubbed against my right arm as his swipe at me missed, and I screeched in agony together with Nikai, who was laying quite the distance away. My throat began to burn at how much I screamed, and it eventually became loud whimpers. The dragon's scales had snagged themselves into my skin, and had ripped out my flesh from me all within mere seconds.