Shadows Within

PART 3 OF A MOONLIGHT MOMENT

As the night wore on, the campfire's warmth and the demigods' laughter seemed to keep the darkness at bay. But Nico's senses remained on high alert, his eyes scanning the shadows for any sign of movement.

Will, sensing his tension, reached out and gently brushed his hand against Nico's. It was a subtle gesture, but it spoke volumes. Nico's gaze met Will's, and he smiled softly, his eyes crinkling at the corners.

Just as they were about to settle in for the night, a faint rustling echoed through the trees. Nico's head snapped up, his eyes locking onto the darkness. Will's heart raced as he followed Nico's gaze.

A figure emerged from the shadows, its presence seeming to draw the very light out of the air. Nico's hand instinctively went to his sword, his fingers wrapping around the hilt.

"Who are you?" Nico demanded, his voice low and even.

The figure stepped closer, its features slowly revealing themselves in the firelight. It was a woman, her face deathly pale, her eyes sunken and dark.

"I am Echo," she whispered, her voice like a sigh on the wind. "And I have come for you, Nico di Angelo."

Nico's grip on his sword tightened. "What do you want, Echo?"

Echo's gaze drifted to Will, and a faint smile played on her lips. "I've come to collect a debt, Nico. A debt of blood and shadow."

Will's instincts screamed warning, but before he could react, Echo vanished into thin air, leaving behind only the faintest whisper of her presence.

Nico's eyes locked onto Will's, his expression grim. "We need to get out of here, Will. Now."

Without another word, they gathered their belongings and slipped into the darkness, leaving the campsite and its dangers behind. But as they disappeared into the night, they knew they were walking into a world of shadows, where the lines between friend and foe were about to become very blurred...