59 | Road Ahead

My family's having an investor meeting for our tech corporation. We're holding it at our headquarters. The guests will mainly be in the lounge rooms and conference rooms where our latest software will be shown.

Dad says they're working on a new platform for cybersecurity threat intelligence, and he wants new investors to back him up on the next step forward.

Wakatoshi and I arrive on time. Some guests are already here. It's a bit worrisome, but they're enjoying the food we've set out.

I meet with my parents, who are in formal attire as well. My dad is tapping left and right on a laptop that'll be set out on display, his white blouse is blinding, and his slacks are neater than usual. He's double-checking that the software is working correctly. Mom is wrapped in a shawl above her maroon dress, a french pin in her hair, her makeup lightly done.

"You look beautiful," she hugs me.

"Thank you. I love your french pin," I smile.

"I used to love these back when I was your age. Imagine my surprise when I found it in my drawer this morning."

Wakatoshi shakes her hand as he greets her. My dad gives him a strong hug and fixes his wonky tie.

"I tried to do it myself. I'll get it next time," Wakatoshi says disappointedly. He's not used to the formality, but I love that he tried anyway. I would've helped when we were getting ready, had I noticed.

"Don't you worry, I'll teach you." Dad smiles before patting Wakatoshi's chest and pulling down the lapels of his blazer.

"Okay, we've got the Adachihara family in the lounge. Akaji Adachihara is hard to impress, but he's here early with his two eldest sons. He wants them to work here, but weirdly, won't admit it. The Myoji family, the Matsudaira family, and the Saito family are here too. There's four more, and the last family should be on the way," he rubs his hands together.

I noticed over the last year of attending my dad's tech or stock meetings, especially his investor events, that he loves these things. He likes his desk work and minimal employee meetings, definitely, but it's something about these prestigious ones that fuel his affability. Especially now that he's presenting his only daughter, his grown little girl. There's something about the possibilities and the persuasions that amuse him too, and I can't be happier for him.

I've been attending here and there, because I decided that I'm going to take on the company in the future. I'm studying literature to become an author, that's my definite career, but I must inherit the company. I'm the last Takahashi, and it's a responsibility to keep the family's hard work in business.

When I told my parents, they told me that I don't have to. Unlike the earlier years, they've grown to respect and support my passions. But, I want to do it. They've worked long and conscientiously, and I want to honor their effort while also adding to it.

My minor at university is business. I'm also taking technology courses. It seems like two contrasting worlds, literature versus a mix of business and technology, but I want it. Part of me wants to be a businesswoman, so why not? I have the business-minded brain, as my dad says, and the passion to balance both. Being an author is flexible, and so is the leadership of the corporation.

I don't have to get started right now, not for a long time. I'm learning gradually, making it nearly non-stressful. It's been a great experience, almost like an internship, as I work alongside my dad. He'll hold the reigns for many years to come, but I'll have the knowledge to lead it someday.

When I do, he'll be there to guide me after he retires, if he wants to at that age. I'm already getting used to the procedure. The investments, campaigns, launches, deals, negotiations, projects, everything regarding stepping into the role of the CEO. I'll have many advisors and experienced employees to do their part when it comes to the ideas. I can always lend a hand in that. I have Wakatoshi supporting me too.