Day 2

April 2, 2013

Day 2: Write a scene involving an item that triggers the memory.

I rummaged through my drawers for my old pair of earphones. Cinnamon, my sister's cat, had just ruined my new ones with her stupid claws which seem ridiculously sharp despite the constant trimming sessions that Jesse gives them. Jess and her cat had been here for barely an hour and they had already managed to drive me insane. Why did cat have claws anyway? Wouldn't our lives be so much without those miniature daggers?

I opened drawer after drawer, growing impatient. I know, how can earphones be worth all that trouble? The thing is I can't live without music. I need it to function properly, like in doing my paper works, going on long jogs, and yeah,lulling myself to sleep.

When you're thirty, you establish some sort of habit within yourself, mine is doing everything with music.

I know. 

I'm weird.

Opening the last drawer to the right of my desk, I finally found what I was scouting the house for, my plain old black earphones. Pulling them out with the glee of a toddler on Christmas, I didn't pay attention to the cord getting caught on the picture frame. As i tugged, the framed photo of my husband and I on our wedding day tumbled to the ground. The glass shattered, but our photo was fine, still the perfect picture of a perfect couple in a perfect marriage.The frame however, created a dent on the floor.

Finding it extremely weird, I knelt down by the mess on the floor and pried open the one lose floorboard. Inside a hollow spot was one glass shoe. 

The one I have hidden so long ago.

Five years ago, the shoe was mailed to me in a black box tied with a white satin ribbon. Five years ago on a drunken evening, I kept the shoe under a lose floorboard and nailed it shut. Tears suddenly began falling and memories as clear as day came rushing back as I held the glass shoe in my hands, and clutched it to my aching chest. 

It reminded me of a boy with a lopsided grin, floppy sandy blonde hair, and eyes as blue as the afternoon sky.

A boy I once knew.

A boy who asked me to be his Cinderella.

A boy who came at my doorstep in the middle of the night five years ago, knelt down on one knee, showed me the glass slipper he had crafted, and asked me to marry him.

A boy whom I had to say no to.

A boy I loved with all my heart.

A boy whose heart I broke.

A boy I still love until now.