Day 28

April 28, 2013

Day 28: Write a scene that is completely shocking.

"Zachary!" an attractive mid-thirties woman called as she came over to us, hips swaying and heels clacking. There was a certain stiffness to her face and a tightness to her smile as she kissed Zach on both cheeks and smiled. 

Then, her eyes landed on me.

"And who's this you're with?" she asked him, looking at me like a deer caught in the headlights.

"Nobody," Zach said nonchalantly and I glared at him poisonously, "So Cora, shall we get started?"

"Certainly," the woman-Cora- said shooting me one last glance.

Zach sat on one of the chairs as half a dozen people go fuss about him. I noticed that no one applies make-up on him. I guess, they're perfectly content with Zach's natural good looks. A girl however asks him to take his shirt off and applies some bronzer on him, going very red in the face as she did so.

"AAAAAAAHHHHHH!" a woman screamed, making me jump and knocking into the shelf I was awkwardly standing by.

To my horror, the shelf comes tumbling down, all the accessories displayed upon it crashing to the ground as the thing falls upon one of the make-up tables set up on the side. It was like watching the world come crashing down in slow motion.

Silence followed after the ruckus as everyone stared at me to my embarrassment.

A few guys came to pitch the shelf back up and clear the mess and I apologized profusely to everyone who even just looked my way. Most of them looked annoyed but some were thankfully offering me comforting looks. But I wasn't comforted much, anyway.

Vaguely, I heard Cora, the woman who screamed apparently, complain to Zach about the female model not being able to make it. She was even calling her all sorts of names as she practically threw herself all over Zach, but I couldn't process anything except for the fact that I had just ruined half of the set.

"What about her?" Cora said and I turned around.

She, along with a stocky man, and Zach were all huddled together looking at me. After a moment of silence during which they seemed to be studying me, I panicked. I was never one to do well under scrutiny.

"Ohmigod, I'm so so so sorry about everything," I rushed out before any of them could even open their mouths, "I could help clean up or like pay for the damages, but I don't really have that much money. Maybe I could pay it in installment? I'm really really sorry."

"Oh honey," Cora said, "You can make it up to us, alright."

She shot the man a look and he stepped forward towards me.

"How about you model for us for this campaign ad and we call it even?" the man said, smiling at me with a fake smile matching the woman's like cellophane stretched over last night's left over, "Don't worry, it's nothing drastic. It's pretty simple, really. Just a few poses with Zach over here."

I was about to speak when Zach beat me to it.

"I don't think that's such a great idea," Zach said, pointedly ignoring me. I was about to say the same thing, but now, I was taken aback. I mean, it was one thing to decline because I might ruin the shoot, but does Zach Cross think I'm that disgusting to look at that I can't pull this off?

"Why?" Cora asked him, "She's perfect! She's got the exquisite face and the perfect body!"

"Really?" Zach said, unconvinced," It's just that I don't think she's right for the job. She hasn't got the experience and she looks too plain, too girl next door."