Day 14

April 14, 2013

Day 14: Write a scene where someone cries.

"Riley, don't tell me, you're actually crying?" Dad asked as he plunged his latex gloved hand into the unknown depths of the wide abyss of my open mouth, "I thought you were over the waterworks, honey."

I tried to shake my head to convey the lie that I wasn't crying and also to keep my tears at bay. I felt a burning sting of tears at the back of my lids. However, Dad's hand in my mouth stopped me from moving my neck.

Finally, he withdrew it.

I closed my mouth with a snap, running my tongue across my teeth and feeling nothing particularly wrong with them.

Dad looked at me proudly as he removed the white latex gloves. I looked at him hopefully, awaiting his assessment.

"It's official, my baby's all grown up," he announced deigning wiping a tear of pride and joy from his eye, "You're a vampire!"

I frowned. "But I don't have fangs, yet."

"Riley, you call on your fangs when you need them. They're sort of like retractable dentures as sharp as miniature daggers," he explained thoughtfully.

"You summon your fangs?" I asked stupidly.

"Well," Dad answered, "Sort of. You try it."

I gaped awkwardly at my dad, my jaw slack. "How?"

"Just imagine them shooting out," he said, shrugging. "Now, you might feel a sharp pain at first because they'd puncture your gums, but vampires, as you know, can heal very quickly as compared to humans."

I willed my fangs to come out. I felt a sudden sharp pain in the places where they were supposed to be. I reached out for them with my finger and pulled away, a bead of blood now on my thumb where I'd pricked it with my teeth.

I whirled around to see how they looked in the mirror.

My reflection was no longer there.

Then, I burst into tears.

And it wasn't because of the pain in my gums or the sore in my throat.