Day 8

April 8, 2013

Day 8: Write a scene in a concert.

The crowd went wild.

Expected in a 2am Club concert.

The lead singer's voice blasted through the speakers and everyone came screaming along to the words of my favorite song. We all even memorized the rap part. It was nice singing along with people you barely knew. It made you feel like you were a part of something important, something so much bigger than yourself.

I really appreciated Caitlin for getting me concert tickets for my favorite band on my birthday. In fact she gave me two. I almost went crazy deciding who to take with me. 

Actually, my first instinct was to ask Caitlin to go with me, but she's already made plans for the evening.  

She assumed that I was taking Chantelle and proceeded to schedule a dinner with her family. I had to decide between Chantelle and Adam. Chantelle might not like the band and the concert-going thing isn't really her thing. I doubt she'll have a good time, considering her taste in music is that of Mozart and Bach and Beethoven, which I totally respect, by the way. Chantelle doesn't even know that I sing sometimes. Adam, on the other hand, might go crazy with ecstacy because 2am Club is his favorite band as well. I didn't want to take him along just so he can do something really stupid and embarrass me.

In the end, I invited Jamie to go with me.

So there I was, singing the words to my favorite song with a bunch of strangers who smelled of beer, waiting for my little brother to show up after her flute lessons. I was so alert at looking around for any signs of Jamie that the big guy next to me was already looking at me funny.

Someone tapped my shoulder. I ignored it. People at concerts accidentally brush each other every now and then, don't they?

Another tap.

I looked around.

Caitlin was standing right behind me, her hands behind her back and a shy smile on her face. She was wearing a short black dress that was suitable for a family dinner, but definitely out of place in a concert like this. Her hair was also brushed up in a stiff bun. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked in surprise.

"Jamie asked me to come. He said he was coming down with a fever, but your mother's tending to him now," she said, "I hope you don't mind."

We could barely heareach other with the crowd.

"No, of course not. Thanks for coming," I shouted for her to hear, "But weren't you supposed to go home to your parent's house tonight?"

"I cancelled, we can schedule it another time," she shrugged.

Then, suddenly, a new song started playing.

"Ooh, I love this song!" Caitlin squealed.

She started singing along and swaying to the beat. Caitlin pulled the pinout of her hair and in one swift movement, her soft silky tresses tumbled all around her.

And in that moment, under the faint lights, and the sweltering heat of excited bodies, Caitlin couldn't be more beautiful.

So I reached over and kissed her.

It wasn't much of a kiss, barely a peck even, but she sursprised me with her wide smile after.