Day 25

April 25, 2013

Day 25: Write a scene with a character with dyed hair.

"What the hell?" I screamed at my sister with everything I got in me as she emerged from the back door. A light switched on next door at my immediate outburst and quickly turned off again. It was half past midnight and Mom had been worried sick about her since she's been gone the moment I woke up.

It wasn't exactly the warmest welcome, I know. 

But Amber had dyed her hair like a rainbow.

Streaks of color divided my sister's hair into seven vertical sections, each a color from the rainbow.

Nothing in her head resembled the silky raven hair I envied so much that she shared with our mother. She was also wearing the usual all-black emo outfit she had taken a liking to a few months ago. 

"What?" she screamed back, "It's my hair!"

"Do you want to give Mom a heart attack?! Grandma will have a coronary, Amber!" I yelled.

"It's Diamond!" she corrected me. "And you really should stop trying to impress Mom, Addie! You'll never be good enough for her!"

She had gone too far this time. Her words were like an arrow straight through my heart.

"Stop pretending to be so damn perfect!" she yelled, "What do you get from all these, huh? Does it feel good to be the perfect daughter? Are you seriously that desperate for Mom's affection that all you do is make me look bad and pretend to want to help me out? Too bad she won't notice your efforts 'cause she's too busy being drunk off her ass! So now, you're sucking up to Grandma too! This is me, Addie, learn to deal with it!"

"You selfish spoiled idiot!" I screamed, unable to control my emotions. I didn't care if I woke Grandma. I didn't care if I woke the neighbors, my sister had to get what was coming, "The world does not revolve around you so stop trying make it that way! You think being this bad-ass rebellious teenager is cool? You think it's right? Ohmigod, I'm so bad because I don't get enough attention at home and my mom is an alcoholic while my grandma's under house arrest  and aren't capable of raising me! Amber, grow up!"

"Get a life! Stop trying to freaking ruin your life and assuming names which you think would earn you a place in this world, and clean up your act," I ranted, "Do you think I want this? Do you think this is easy for me? Things are already crappy enough, Amber! We could all do without you and your episodes everyday!"

We were both breathing hard, staring each other in the kitchen. My sister's lips quivered, but she didn't cry like she used to every time we fought when we were little. Instead, she stepped closer and whispered something that chilled me to the bones.

"I know about Zach Cross."

"What?" I whispered weakly, my blood turning cold and my spine tingling. She smiled cruelly, hostility radiating off of her. 

"I know you're fucking him,"she said, her voice louder this time.

"I'm not," I said firmly, but my voice sounded uneven to my own ears.

"I guess you're not so perfecct after all," she said and spun on her heels, leaving me speechless in the kitchen.

I heard her footsteps running up the stairs and her bedroom door slam shut as I collapsed on the nearest chair and burst into tears.