The Volleyball Tournament

Chapter 12:

Crystal and I walked to the locker room in silence as the thoughts of what just happened replayed through our heads. Then, I broke the silence.

"Crystal, you don't have to worry about what those girls said they were obviously just trying to scare me away from Alex."

She gave a small nod as she changed into her gym clothes. When we were done she gave me a bear hug and said, "If you insist I'll stop but if she even tries to lay a finger on you she's dead."

We walked to the gym with the occasional stares from other students. I really don't get it. When we faced the Barbies it wasn't that big of a deal but I guess Crystal's words made her a little famous in the school, or infamous.

We sat on the bench while we waited for the gym teacher to start. Then the was the sound of the whistle and we all immediately stopped what we were doing. Our gym teacher,Mr.Miller's, voice boomed throughout the whole gym.

"Today we will all be participating in a volley ball match to strengthen our reflexes and use teamwork achieve our goals . The winning team will be able to sit and watch the losing team run 3 laps around the football field."

There were a few groans but I didn't care. This was a win-win situation for me because if I win I get to relax and if I lose I get to show off my skills in my running. I beamed at the thought of getting to running in front of the gym teacher. He just might recruit me for the track team.

"Ok now I'll pair you off into teams. Everyone with last names from N-Z you are going to be the red team. Everyone with the last names A-M you'll be the blue team."

"Aw, sorry Sophia but my teams gonna kick some ass today" Crystal claimed.

"Let's see if you and your team could live up to your words," I teased.

"There's only one way to find out."

Crystal joined her group and did a huddle as they talked things over.

I was on the blue and guess who was on my team as well? The devil himself Alex Dawson. When he caught my eye, he gave me a wink and smirked at me. I rolled my eyes and let out a sigh of dissatisfaction. I may have this indescribable feeling about him but I wasn't going to be stalking him or chasing after him. I knew better than to look for trouble.

Mr. Miller's whistle echoed throughout the whole gym as he got ready to announce something, "Okay, here are the rules: 1. Absolutely no kicking the ball. 2. No standing there and doing nothing. This exercise is to help you work with other people. 3. No yelling our trying to discourage your teammates. If I catch any of you disobeying any of these rules then you will be called off the bench to sit with me and you will have to run laps regardless if your team wins or not. Is that clear?"

The the Barbies arrived fashionably late which was stupid considering that they were the first ones to come out of the cafeteria. Hannah searched for me and then shot me a glare. I knew if looks could kill then I'd be dead. We all got into our teams and positioned ourselves on the gym floor. I was in the front so I knew that I would have have the responsibility of making sure that the ball was going over the net.

Then Mr.Miller tossed the ball to my team and I caught it. I dribbled the ball twice and then shot it in the air. Crystal hit the ball and sent it flying back to my side of the net.

One of the barbies caught the ball instead of hitting it and she received a handful of glares from my team, excluding me. She shrugged it off and made up for the catch when she hit the ball and when it hit the net I hit up and spiked the ball to the other team. I received a few 'good jobs' from other teammates but got snorts from all the Barbies.

They passed me the ball so I could serve it again. I dribbled the ball again and threw it up in the air. All of a sudden, a person came up behind me and hit the ball that I was going to hit. I turned around and saw a smug smile on Alex's face.

Bam! I wasn't paying attention and the volleyball hit me hard in the back of my head. Then, I was falling. I would've fell flat on my face if it weren't for Alex. I heard a few gasps. Alex supported my body as I went limp in his arms.

I heard someone being yelled at and figured it was probably Crystal giving the person who hit me a mouthful.

Then my world went black.

***************

I woke up on the small bed of the nurse's office. I got up and tried to regain my memory of how I got here in the first place. All that I knew was that I had an throbbing head and headache that was increasing by the minute.

Then I saw him. It was Alex sitting on one of those waiting chairs. Suddenly, the memories began flooding back into my mind.

"Oh, good you're awake," the nurse said. "How's your head, sweetie?"

Alex the looked at me and waited for my answer.

"It's kinda hurts, I feel like my heart is beating in my head."

"Don't worry that would be temporary. Here's a Tylenol and some water. I'm going to write you a prescription for medicine to help with the pain. Although, right now I'd suggest that you go home."

"Oh gosh, my parent aren't going to be able to pick me up and my ride is probably still in class," I explained.

"I'll take you home," Alex chimed in.

"No, thanks I think I rather walk," I replied nervously.

"Honey, I think you should take up his offer. You wouldn't want to be alone in the condition your in."

I wasn't too happy with the proposal but I nodded because I wasn't up for arguing with anybody.

I took the prescription and gathered my belongings. Alex and I walked out of the nurse's office and received a few staring faces. I knew I was kinda out of the norm because I was still in my gym sweats and t-shirt. My face and neck turned a bright color. Alex saw this change and took as an opportunity to tease me.

"Aww, you look so cute when your nervous. Now let's head to my car, cupcake."

"Why didn't you just go to your class instead of waiting for me?"

"Simple,I wanted to get out of class and I just can't finish our project without you, cupcake."

"Don't call me that and can we please go to the locker room so that I can change."

"Fine, let's go."

We walked silently to the locker room and Alex surprisingly waited outside like a gentleman with my book bag in his hand.

When I got in the locker room I searched for my locker and when I found it dialed the combination. When I opened it there was a picture of me falling face first to the gym floor. I flipped it around and it read 'No need to take things to the head'.

Then something inside of me bursted. I felt completely angry and I knew who to take my anger out on. I didn't bother changing and slammed my locker. A girl who was changing nearby flinched at the sound but at the moment I didn't care. I grabbed the picture and walked out of the locker room angrily.

"You ready?" Alex asked innocently.

I took the picture and slammed it into his rock hard chest.

"Keep your bitch on a leash," I yelled at him.

He looked confused and then took a look at the picture. I snatched my bag from the ground and ran away from him as he gathered his thoughts. Tears threatened to spill from my eye but I didn't let them. I didn't want to give Hannah and the Barbie posse the satisfaction of knowing that I cried over that stupid picture. I mean Alex and I were going to be the only ones to see it, right?