Christmas Party

That Monday James dropped me off a block away from the restaurant. Last thing we needed was people talking about they saw us together.

Walking into the place I saw everyone looking at me. Talk about awkward, I gave a small smile and went into the back to put my things away.

That's when I bumped into my coworker who was organizing her locker.

"Hey Cassie!" As she hugged me. Why did she hug me?.

"Oh hey Danita" trying to sound caring.

"Oh that's a pretty bracelet!. Where'd you get it from?".

"Oh this thing, just someone my mom knows gave it to me" as I nervously started playing with it.

"Wow it's pretty, it looks expensive too".

"I don't know... But how's life going for you?". Trying to change the topic of conversation.

"You know the same stuff... Nothing doesn't change for me" as she smiled. She was always so happy even when things were really bad for her.

"Well as long as you're okay then that's all that matters" as I locked my locker and went back into the front.

Looking at my bracelet I didn't even see where I was walking and bumped right into James.

"Pay attention where your walking, Cassie".

"Sorry, my bracelet caught my attention" as I smiled.

"Well maybe you should take it off and only wear it when you're not here".

"No, I like showing it off... But thanks for the suggestion" as I walked away. That's when I felt a small pinch on my butt. I turned around to see him smirking as he continued walking.

I was late to work as I am usually. Stupid train wants to be stuff in traffic. I also stopped at Starbucks to get myself coffee since I'm not even awake mentally.

Walking into work I clocked in and that's when James stepped out his office signaling me to come inside. I knew I was going to hear a lecture on how to manage my time.

"Why were you late?. Yet again".

"Train traffic I'm not the conductor".

"But you still manage to get coffee so without that you would've been what 5 mins late".

"I guess". I really wasn't in the mood to hear what he had to say. I guess my face must've said it.

"Why the attitude?".

"I don't know but can I go back to work".

"I'm having a Christmas party at my house next week. And I wanted to invite you to come by".

"I don't think that's a good idea. Only because your wife will be there and it'll be awkward. Plus this is the annual Christmas party that I've heard so much of".

"Listen just come for the fun of it. I don't invite employees so feel special".

"But your also not messing around with any other employee but me so feel special".

"Go to work!".

I smiled and tapped my shoulder as that was a good come back. And I didn't even drink my coffee yet.

The party came quickly, I didn't even know what to wear. I looked through my closet and noticed a navy blue strapless short bubble dress just hanging there. I pulled it off the hanger and put it on. I did my hair with sweep bangs and putting some of my hair clipped back and leaving the ends in very loose curls. Topping it off with this gold necklace. I hope I'm not over dressed.